8

Alira did not follow me out that morning. In fact, I had barely shared a word with her in the days that followed. It had seemed she had not had another vision since, preoccupying herself with her assisting her mother, a seamstress, in the artist's quarter. A place she frequented, admiring the art of those with the ability to express it. Whether it be music, painting, sculpting or some other form of creativity, Alira had the keen eye to see the beauty in it.

In the days that had followed, Rhys, Cassian and I had returned to the Soulless Woods, where Rhys had once again offered his trade to Bannik. Bannik, who was rather compliant. The dime, removed from the third ring to the centre of the seven, exchanged for Banniks release from the Soulless woods. Bannik who know roam free, the spirits now settled.

And yet, something still felt off.

I lie in bed, staring up at my ceiling. For once, my shadows rather quiet, my mind rather calm. For once, the dizzying fall of sleep forces me to close my eyes.

Jolting awake, in a cold sweat. My breathing heavy & heart beat fast. The darkness of night cascades through my room. Eye's adjusting to the darkness, my shadows whisper around me.

Down... Outside...

Shaking my head, I swing my legs over my bed, standing up and grabbing my jacket, I leave the comfort of my room. Exiting out the front door. The cool night air chills my skin. My shadows pull me towards the darkness of trees. Peering through the forest, my eyes catch on something. Is Alira out here training again?

I enter the forest, marching my way through the web of trees. Coming to the clearing, I scan around – had my eyes played tricks on me? I look up, spotting the shining constellations in the sky. The stars, mesmerising. Often so caught up in the brutality of life, I forget to take in moments like this, the beauty of nature.

I am cut from my thoughts when I hear a sweet female's voice "Azriel" it whispers in my ear. Startled, I whirl around. But there is no one. The trees stare back at me. "Hello?" I call. Could there be someone, hiding in the trees? Stepping towards the voice "Who's out there?" I call again.

"Azriel" the female whispers in my ear again. My heartbeat quickens, whirling around again. A chill runs down my spine. Fierce brown-copper hair. Electrifying teal eyes. Her skin light & fresh, rosy in the cheeks. A female stands before me, her appearance appearing hazy. Her hair blows lazily across her face in the cool night breeze. A dim smile plays on her lips. A white hooded cloak drapes over her, framing her face. Layers of delicate silver jewellery hangs around her neck. In all of a moment, I take her in. Of her distorted, hazed appearance, her eyes ring crystal clear. Those teal eyes. As if I could get lost in them for decades, I do not dare a blink. Her eyes find peace in mine, never leaving for a second. Staring back at me, almost knowingly, almost... lovingly.

"Azriel." A hand grasps my shoulder, I am broken from my trance. Whirling around, I come face to face with Alira.

Quick on my heel, I spin back around. But those teal eyes are gone. The light, effervescent skin is gone. Her copper hair gone. She is gone. "Hey! Where are you? I call stepping towards where she had been. I scan around, pivoting, overlooking Alira. "Where did she go?" I ask her. She looks at me confused. "Who, Az?"

"Who!?" I spin around, scanning again. "She was just here!" Almost breathless, baffled, I come to face Alira again. She shakes her head, her eyes shadowy. "You must have slept walked Az, hallucinating." She extends her arm, resting it on my shoulder. I shake my head. It could not be. I never do such things. Never sleep for gods sake! It is impossible. She was here. Her eyes. No one dreams those eyes. "There is no way. No way." I breathe. Looking around once again. Desperate almost.

I am cut from my search when Alira reaches her hand up to my cheek. Cutting my eyes back to hers. "It's okay, Az." She whispers, her blue eyes darkening. Like a melting glacier. The warmth of her hand spreads through my cheek. Suddenly, my cheeks warm a fraction, at the realisation of our proximity. My heartbeat starts to pound in my chest.

"What are you doing out here?" I ask quietly, as if afraid someone will hear. Her lips turn upward to a sly smirk. Her eyes roam downward a fraction, before returning to mine. Dragging her hand down from my shoulder to my chest, she says "Looking for you of course." Her eyes dark under her eyebrows. My heart races even quicker. Feeling, all at once, a bit too warm in this leather jacket, perhaps I should have left it. Why would she be looking for me? Mildly confused, I start "Why? You should be sleeping." At this, she only cocks her slightly, leaning in closer. Our faces only a breath apart.

I would have thought all of my training as a warrior would have conditioned my heart to not beat so wildly, but in this moment, its uncontrollable. My body almost feeling dizzy, my hands tingling, my breath shallow. Her smirk grows a fraction, as if amused. My eyes linger on her lips for a moment too long. My hands lay gently on her waist, as our bodies are only fractions apart, heat radiating. My face drifts, almost pulled by an unseen force, closer to hers.

"How about that training we discussed?" She says gently, feeling every breath of hers on my lips, my mind spins. If I could my head back, my body away, away from hers - I know it wouldn't work, I know I couldn't do it.

Her lips edge ever so close to mine, and now it is as if I cannot breathe. Her eyes bore into mine, she glances at my lips once more, tantalising. Drawing my hands up her body, coming to rest on her neck. I feel the quickness of her pulse under my hands. Her skin hot. Our bodies hot. Tracing my thumb along her jaw, my eyes linger on her lips, waiting. Flicking my eyes back to hers, I see them darken, unable to resist the pull any longer, I close the distance.

Our lips find one another, like a moth to a flame. Warm and soft. My body relaxes into hers, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding. My thoughts race, and while this goes against so many things, It felt so right.

"Azriel?" My eyes fly wide open, spinning around. Rhys stands in the clearing.