CHAPTER 7: INWARD BLEEDING

(Dr. Jennie goes to see the General)

IN THE PALACE

"Of course," the General said weakly, "I understand fully. But that is because, I once took a degree in Princeton. So few Koreans have."

"I care nothing for the women, Excellency," Jennie said almost sounding convincing to herself.

"but having operated on her with such success..."

"Yes, yes" the General said.

"It only makes me feel you more indispensable to me. Evidently you can save anyone — you are so skilled. You say you think I can stand one more such heart attack as I have had today?" the general enquired.

"Not more than one," Jennie said.

"Then certainly I can allow nothing to happen to you," the General said with anxiety.

His long pale face became expressionless, which meant that he was in deep thought.

Of course all he cares about is his own self. Jennie felt ashamed she was telling all this to him. She felt ashamed that the power lies in such hands. She felt ashamed that the country she was trying to save was ruled by such self centered , selfish and careless person.

"You cannot be arrested," the General said, closing his eyes.

"Suppose you were condemned to death and the next day I had to have my operation?"

"There are other surgeons, Excellency," Jennie suggested.

"None I trust, also considering my Alzheimer's I tend to forget things and only you know that" the General replied.

"The best ones have been trained by Germans and would consider the operation successful even if I died. I do not care for their point of view." He sighed.

"It seems a pity that we cannot better combine the German ruthlessness with the Korean sentimentality. Then you could turn your prisoner over to execution and yet I could be sure you would not murder me while I was unconscious." The General laughed.

He had an unusual sense of humour.

"As a Korean, could you not combine these two foreign elements?" he asked.

Jennie smiled plainly. "I am not quite sure," she said, "but for your sake I would be willing to try, Excellency."

The General shook his head. "I had rather not be the test case," he said.

He felt suddenly weak and overwhelmed with the cares of his life as an official in times such as these when repeated victory brought great responsibilities all over the south Pacific.

"It is very unfortunate that this women should have washed up on your doorstep," he said irritably.

"I feel it so myself," Jennie said gently trying her best to convince the general.

"It would be best if she could be quietly killed," the General said and Jennie gasped.

"Not by you, but by someone who does not know her. I have my own private assassins. Suppose I send two of them to your house tonight or better, any night. You need know nothing about it. It is now warm — what would be more natural than that you should leave the outer partition of the South Korean women's room open to the garden while she sleeps?"

This is the harsh reality of this monarch. Of the country. How people who raise their voice against injustice are silenced by the one in power. Jennie felt ashamed of herself that she was operating on such a person. Now she feels more guilty on saving this ruthless man than on saving the enemy in her house. Oh! How uncertain life is.