CHAPTER 8: WINDOWS

"Rosé, sleep in my room tonight. Tell Hyun the same and I will shift Ella's crib to my room too"

"Why? Out of sudden.."

Jennie fell silent. How could she tell her that she has indirectly planned Jisoo's death? How could she explain to her that the General will send his assassins to kill the woman she cured? How could she tell that she's afraid that the assassins might mistook her family and cause harm to them?

"Its...been a while since we spent some time together" she reasoned.

Rosé was softly caressing Hyun's hair as he hugged her mother sleeping peacefully when Jennie entered the room.

"He's growing so fast" Jennie spoke sweetly looking at the seven years old.

"Hmm. He will already be a teenager till Ella joins school" Rosé smiled.

Ella's attention turned to Rosé when she heard her name being called. Though Jennie was not her biological mother but their features were so similar that they could fool anyone.

Her small cat like eyes searched for Jennie and as soon as they landed on her, her loud crying sound enveloped the room and her arms flung upwards in motion trying to convey that she wanted to be lifted up.

Jennie slowly took Ella in her arms and hugged her and all the tension of the day escaped her body in a swift motion.

"oh my baby! Don't cry. How is my little one doing huh?" Jennie cooed as she softly rocked Ella in her arms. But Ella had different plans today as her wailing didn't stop.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. And Jennie almost jumped in horror.

"No! no assassins will come knocking on the door" she thought as she calmed herself.

She slowly opened half the door to find Jisoo with her one hand on her stomach covering the wound and the other on the wall for support. She looked almost in panic. And Jennie almost panicked too thinking there might be some problem with her injury.

"Uhm...I heard a child crying...Is everything okay?"

Oh.

Jennie almost didn't want to reveal Ella. Though for the quite few days she's been observing Jisoo she knew the women was harmless. She hoped. But one should never trust a stranger. Especially as a mother she couldn't even dream about something happening to Ella. But right now she was left with no choice.

She opened the door completely.

"My daughter..."

"Oh! Hey Little Kim!" excited Jisoo greeted now excited Ella as if they are not meeting for the first time but rather in a 'long time no see' way. Jennie chose to ignore the nickname though.

"Oh? Now you have stopped crying?" Jennie whispered to herself as she looked at her daughter carefully observing Jisoo and laughing and wiggling in her arms to anything that Jisoo says.

Ella motioned her arms towards Jisoo excitedly and Jisoo looked at Jennie for permission. She hesitated.

"Your injury...?"Dr. Kim motioned towards the hand covering her stomach.

"Ah! I will manage?..." She herself looked confused.

"I would really like it if I hold someone right now. it's been what months?.. Even if it's a kid .Please?"

Jennie sighed. She considered Jisoo's words and knew she meant to be 'held by someone' in this time and not to 'hold someone'. For a moment considered giving Jisoo a hug but relented and eventually handed Ella to Jisoo for a while keeping a close eye on everything.

"Little Kim! Aren't you a naughty one crying right now? Hmm. Let your mother sleep she works very hard! Okay?" Jisoo continued talking to Ella making funny faces at her that made Ella giggle cutely.

Jennie was in awe again.

Just what and who are you Jisoo? Why did you suddenly had to come in my life?

Jennie could see Jisoo struggling with her injury as Ella wiggled in her arms so she decided to take Ella back.

"You should rest" Jennie said.

Jisoo nodded.

"You too..."

Jennie nodded.

"Good night Little Kim!" Jisoo softly poked Ella's cheek with her finger and Ella giggled and wiggled in Jennie's arms as if to jump onto Jisoo.

Jisoo bowed to Jennie. Jennie bowed back.

The doctor saw Jisoo limping to her room.

But as always she didn't asked.

_   _   _   _  

Jennie slept badly that night.

Time and time again she woke, thinking she heard the rustling of footsteps, the sound of a twig broken or a stone displaced in the garden — a noise such as men might make who carried a burden. Assassins.

She tossed and turned on the bed again and again.

"Why was she limping?"

She tossed to her left.

"Did her stitches open?"

She tossed to her right.

"Did the assassins came? No..."

"Should I go check on her? As a doctor...obviously as a doctor I should.."

"What if she's not there and the assassins...No.. no.."

She finally laid on her back and sighed. She gazed at Rosé.

"I am going to drink some water..." Jennie tested saying to noone in particular eyeing Rosé for any motion. Nothing.

And quickly made her way to Jisoo's room.

Jennie entered inside and saw the windows open and the wind blowing. She walked to Jisoo's bed and gently lifted her shirt and pressed her bare hand onto the wound to examine it.

A stitch had opened but no major injury. Dr. Kim wiped the excess blood oozing out of the stitch and applied some antiseptic on it. She decided to stitch it close tomorrow morning. For now this would do. No worries.

Jisoo is strong enough. She will survive.

Jennie walked to the open partition and closed the windows ensuring they were locked from inside.

As soon as she exited the room Jisoo opened her eyes and sat up. Her eyes locked on the door that Jennie gently closed.

"Why are you trying to save me? Dr. Kim." She whispered.

The soldier stood up from the bed and opened the windows as she jumped outside.

She collected the bullets from the guns and carefully buried the rifle and pistol in the ground. Then, walked to the nearby tree and collected the dry leaves and spread them strategically to hide anything the darkness was unable to. Then as quietly as she exited, she climbed to the window back. Dusting the dust on her pants as she laid on the bed and closed her eyes.

Outside, two men were lying dead. Their bodies hidden by dried leaves.

(A/N- Netflix sound ending *DUDUN* lol

Please do comment your thoughts, it motivates me to write more ❤)