CHAPTER 17: SHOOT!

South Korea

Jennie looks across the street at the Office of IUSS and contrary to what she imagined, it's not a single tall building but a cluster of three tall buildings connected and designed in a strategic manner. She enters through the central office and marches up to the front desk.

"Hi, I'm looking for Kang Seulgi."

The front desk secretary pushes her glasses before glancing up. "Do you have an appointment?"

"No."

"Would you like to make one?"

"Not really, is there a chance I can see her now?"

The attendant doesn't like that answer. "I'm sorry, but Miss Kang is available by appointment only."

Jennie rolls her eyes. "Okay, fine, when can I see her?"

She looks down and flips through the pages of a calendar. "She's available next month."

"What? Next month?"

"Look here missy," the secretary stands to gain a better position of authority, "I don't know who you think you are, barging in here and making demands, but you are free to leave."

Jennie's jaw goes slack. She resists the urge to shout back and tell the lady to fuck off because this is the only avenue to Jisoo she has.

"I'm sorry," Jennie says, lowering her voice. "My name is Jennie Kim; Doctor Jennie Kim and I was provided Kang Seulgi's name via the General of North Korea."

Despite Jennie's drastic change in tone, it doesn't change the secretary's answer though she did flinch at the mention of her country. Of course.

"I appreciate the information, Doctor, but here at the IUSS, we're not allowed to make any exceptions to the rules."

"There isn't anything you can do? It's very important to me. Please. I won't take more than five minutes of her time."

Somehow, someway, the secretary softens, and with a quick, "Excuse me," she disappears behind a closed door, presumably headed toward Kang Seulgi's office.

As Jennie waits, her eyes rove the room.

The IUSS insignia is painted on the main wall, a yellow spade against a black oval. Below it, an official photo of President Irene Bae, and next to it, Director of the IUSS, Joy Park, followed by four other IUSS executives.

On the far right is a photo of Kang Seulgi, Director of Special Operations. Albeit Jennie sees no distinction between Seulgi and the rest but they are all beautiful and strong women.

Behind her, the door clicks open and Jennie gives the secretary her undivided attention.

"I'm sorry," she says, "but Miss Kang is very busy and she's only taking appointments."

"But—"

The secretary shakes her head in a slow and unmoving manner. Jennie sighs and nods, accepting the appointment. She is slow to exit the building, dragging her feet hoping for this "Kang Seulgi" to appear if she stuck around long enough.

Jennie refuses to return home to wait another month and, in fact, makes it no further than 30 feet, sitting across the street on a corner bench and stares at the building.

While it's not the doctor's intent to surveil the area as if she were a spy herself, this is what she ends up doing.

Damn! what all love makes one do...

Watching the foot traffic go by and paying attention to those who enter and exit the building.

And by no surprise, she waits long enough to witness Kang Seulgi herself depart at the end of the day. She's wearing a long black coat, a matching hat, and a briefcase in hand.

At first, Jennie hesitates, then quickly pursues her on foot. She scurries across the street, weaving between cars and people, eyes never leaving the back of her head.

Jennie quickens her pace, hoping to catch up to Seulgi when she loses sight of her.

She doesn't understand how, looking left and right, before outright running, thinking she's further ahead.

Suddenly, a sturdy hand snatches her by the forearm and yanks her into a narrow alleyway. Jennie nearly trips, stumbling forward when the very recognizable click of a pistol sounds behind her. Instinctively, Jennie swings her hands up. "Please—"

"Shut up, who are you and why are you following me?"

"Oh, god..." Jennie's voice trembles, in fact, her entire body shakes. Her whole life she's never had a gun point on her; the irony of experiencing that now, here in South Korea.

"I—I—"

"Who sent you? The Japanese? Germans? North Koreans?"

Worse, she thinks Jennie is a foreign spy.

She worries that this dark alley will be the last thing she sees. And how she misses Jisoo much right now.

The warmth of their long nights, sitting across from each other playing chess contrary to dying face down against this cold cobblestone beneath her. She imagines her lifeless body, blood draining through a bullet hole like the many, many soldiers she has seen. Like Jisoo's.

"No—no one, nobody," Jennie stutters and tries to look over her shoulder. "Please, I'm a North Korean."

"What do you want?"

"Mm—my name is Jennie Kim, I—I'm looking for someone. She went by the name—by the name Kim Jisoo."

There's a long, long pause.

Jennie's shoulders burn but she doesn't dare let her hands down and tears are streaming down her face as she thinks of Ella. She does not doubt that this woman can, and will, kill her.

"Turn around," she instructs.

Jennie swallows and shuffles her feet until she's facing her.

The pistol is inches from her face, point blank, and it terrifies her further. In her twenty-seven years of living, she has taken out many bullets from inside someone's body and now the thought of one inside her body terrifies her.

There will be no one who operates on her in this foreign country, she couldn't even die on her own land. Her father would be ashamed.

"And what business do you have with Special Agent Kim Jisoo, hm?"

Jennie pauses, mostly petrified while held at gunpoint, but also unsure what to say or how to explain herself.

Evidently, silence was the wrong answer.

"That's what I thought..." Seulgi mutters and takes a step back to shoot.

(A/N - Well...

Love is dangerous , Jennie's life is in danger , Jisoo is Jennie's life and hence Angst is Life !!

Math is not mathing, June is not juning, Jensoo are not Jensooing and Blackpink is- sorry who is Blackpink again?

Yes, I am going insane 💖)