CHAPTER 18: GONGJIN

"That's what I thought..." Seulgi mutters and takes a step back to shoot.

"Wait! I love her!" Jennie blurts and slams her eyes shut, anticipating the pop of a gun.

This was not how Jennie imagined confessing her love for Jisoo, but imminent death certainly has a way with the truth.

When the gun doesn't fire, Jennie opens her eyes one at a time. Does she believe her?

There's still a gun pointed at her face, and Jennie takes the opportunity to explain.

"Please... I live in North Korea.. Seven months ago, Jisoo was washed ashore in front of my house in a dying state, you should know that, right? I was the doctor who treated her. You must believe me, I swear. I—I received your name from the General."

Clearly, Jennie is not a threat in her bumbling state and Seulgi drops the gun.

Jennie exhales the biggest breath of relief she has ever held in life, though her eyes are no less intimidating as if she might change her mind any second.

She looks at her with disdain; Jennie deduces it's because she just outed herself, professing her love for someone of the same sex. But when her eyes meet her, the antipathy runs deeper.

"You're the one," she says in an accusatory tone, squinting as if she recognizes her.

"W—who?"

"You cost me my best agent; you know?"

"She's... what? Is she alright?!"

"Fine—at least to the best of my knowledge."

"Why do you say that?"

"After she returned from North Korea, she requested resignment—an intradepartmental transfer said she would only accept humanitarian missions." Jennie remains silent as Seulgi continues to describe Jisoo's resignment.

"She was the most talented, the most gifted, crucial to us during the war. And those skills were wasted on spreading fucking warning pamphlets in Japan!! We almost lost her when the bombs dropped in Hiroshima and Nagasaki" she spits in anger.

Seulgi holsters her pistol, though her eyes never leave Jennie's until something shifts within her.

"She told me about you...You'll likely find her in the north west," she discloses.

Jennie's eyes light up like a Christmas tree. "She's here?"

"Yeah, living a life of peasant in that village." Seulgi says scoffing thinking of how she lost the best agent in her team.

Oh.

"Her full name is Kim Jisoo, but she goes by several aliases, all variations of her full name: Agent Kim, Agent K , Sooyaa, or Chu, sometimes Veronica or Rabble Ki, combinations thereof."

"Why are you telling me all of this?"

"Is this not the information you seek?"

"It is, yes. I just didn't think... after pointing a gun at me, I dunno..." Jennie mumbles, "I'm a mere stranger, I mean nothing to you."

"While that may be true, it's not about my regard for you but Jisoo. When I last spoke to her, she appeared... disheartened," she says. "Something had changed in her, she was no longer interested in killing—and now I see why, Doctor Kim."

Jennie swallows a guilty knot, remembering their long conversations in the silent nights:

"A life is a life to me and though I was here, assigned to do things..kill the evil and save the innocent...I would do the same for any life that falls in my hands. Even a North Korean soldier."

At the time, Jennie didn't realize she was talking (and reasoning) with a spy, debating life and death, espionage and war strategies.

Clearly, she had changed Jisoo's outlook and Seulgi is not happy about that.

"I'm... sorry?" She squeaks.

"After Hiroshima, Jisoo officially resigned from the IUSS," Seulgi exhales sadly.

"You will never know of the sacrifices she has made for this country, for the precious ground you're standing on. Regardless of her... lifestyle, she is no less deserving of the freedoms and happiness she has fought so hard to preserve. 

If I were you, I'd head toward the Yellow Sea to the west coast. She is living in a small town by the name of Gongjin."

It's a distant light in a storm, and Jennie is determined to follow it to the end. 

(A/N – The most awaited smut- I mean union after their separation is coming soon!

By the way I got the idea of naming the town Gongjin from the drama Hometown Cha Cha Cha. It's a beautiful place (real name - Pohang) and the drama is so damn good! 

Definitely recommended, it is really my comfort drama! 

I have watched a ton of kdramas so if you want some good recommendation feel free to disturb me lol

Aaand I hope you guys are still reading and liking the story. Thankyou!)