Shield Your Eyes

Sleep called to none of them while they waited safely tucked away in the hayloft in anticipation of the first signs of dawn. The worry of getting caught far outweighed the thought of the looming battle, especially with how well hidden they were, even if someone were to wander inside the storage shed.

"What is the plan from here?" Uhtred whispered as he shimmied over to where Aestas sat beside Sihtric who was practically attached at her hip so much he rivaled Finan.

Aestas looked around for something to show her plan as she was unable to speak strategy, but her banishment never said anything about drawing and marking her plans, but she couldn't find anything and she knew Uhtred was losing his patience.

"Just speak," he demanded before raising a brow, his curiosity having been peaked when she shook her head and started clearing hay out of the way to reach the wood to use her knife. All that effort just to avoid speaking. "It would be quicker and quieter if you just told me."

She paused and looked up with pursed lips, conflicted over just telling him her plans, having broken enough rules of her banishment already, or risking being discovered by one of the guards. Anything they did to her would pale in comparison to what her own family would do to her should she break any more rules regarding her banishment. Aestas sighed and shook her head as she was met with her own annoyance. The rules of her banishment were never a problem until now. "I am not allowed." Her eyes wandered to everyone watching and listening before looking back at Uhtred, hoping he would understand.

Her eyes pleaded with him to drop the question they both knew was on his tongue, and out of respect, he did. In time he hoped Aestas would tell them who dictates the rules a wildling lived by. "Tell only me then." Uhtred spoke, attempting to mask his own frustration as he leaned in closer.

It was a rule she couldn't risk breaking, and drawing it out was already dangerously bending the rule. Instead, Aestas removed the bandage from her hand and used her own blood to mark dots on the wooden floor of the loft to represent buildings. She then pointed at each person in their group and motioned what they would do. She would move with Sihtric towards the main gate just before dawn to get into position to clear the ramparts of its defenses. Beocca and Aethelwold would return to the East door to ensure it was open for her brother so Uhtred could advance towards the North gate with nearly the same amount of manpower as Ragnar. If all went according to plan the door may even be open before Ragnar can use the battering ram. Overall the siege would result in the loss of fewer men and easier access to the North gate.

Uhtred nodded in agreement to the plan before glancing at the others, who all mirrored his actions. This new plan would have Kjartan dead before they even saw noon and offered a far more comfortable alternative than standing out in the cold all night. While most just closed their eyes to rest, he kept his attention on the marks Aestas made, who sat beside a dozing Sihtric with her head on his shoulder, tracing some design in his palm. "When did you come up with this plan?" He whispered before looking up from the blood spots.

The mindless drawing of spirals came to a slow stop before Aestas looked up from Sihtric's palm and shrugged. She couldn't quite pinpoint when she came up with the entire plan; most of the finite details were made after her scout of the perimeter, but an overall plan had been fumbling around in her head since they first brought up attacking Dunholm. Her mother always said a sharp mind could cut an enemy deeper than any blade ever could. "Loidis." She replied quietly, ignoring the apprehension of belief on Uhtred's face.

"Next time you have a plan, have Finan tell me." Uhtred attempted to reason. Something about the way she said she couldn't, had him believing there was far more mystery to Aestas than her wild behavior. "It is a great plan," he complimented.