Chapter 9: Singing Jaguar

Milo couldn't understand where he was, the house he was in was unfamiliar. The room was dimly lit, casting long shadows against the old, tattered furniture that was scattered around the room. The walls were a washed out gray, as if all color had been drained from the room. The only sound that could be heard was the soft creaking of floorboards as Milo shifted his weight.

Where am I? I have never been in this place before?

Milo looked down at his hands, focusing on them, they began to glow softly to his sight.

It is a dream. I'm dreaming.

Milo thought as he looked away from his hands and began to take note of his surroundings. Milo had been practicing lucid dreaming since he was nine years old and was plagued with nightmares. He had learned to take control of his dreams even waking himself up when the nightmares became too much to handle. Silent Hawk had helped him learn how to control the dreamworld and he sent a silent prayer of gratitude to him now.

But why now, why am I here? What am I supposed to learn?

Suddenly Milo heard a voice that seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere.

You cannot save them both. You must make a choice. The voice was filled with malice, causing Milo to shudder at the words.

Suddenly the room was filled with a warm golden light, Milo saw the figure of an Taino Warrior standing in the light. He walked towards Milo and smiled.

Natalia had woken up and was sitting at the kitchen table, she had made a cup of tea and was quietly sitting there hoping not to wake Milo since it was only 2am and she knew he would be up at 5am to feed the animals. As she was sipping her tea, she heard footsteps, looking up she was Milo enter the kitchen. His movements slow and precise as if he was much older than his 17 yrs. He looked at her and she saw that his pupils were dilated.

"Mijo?" She said gently, she could tell that he was in the state of possession and she needed to be careful. Why had the muertos taken him?

"Natali, mi caballita, hace mucho tiempo que no te veo," Milo said looking at her. "No me conoces."

Natalia stood up slowly and looked at Milo.

"Singing Jaguar? Why have you taken my son?" Natalia stood up trying to be brave, although she was trembling inside. Singing Jaguar was her principal spirit guide, she had renounced him when she turned her back on her heritage. Now he was here and in possession of Milo.

"Natali, it is time, The Blood Tiger has returned and the Princess is here. The twin of his soul has found her way to him. You turned away from your burden and now he must stand in your place. He must know and you must tell him." Milo reached out his hand and touched his mother's face.

"We would have been there for you Caballita, to help you face this burden. Now we will be there for him, he will not be alone." Milo dropped his hand and sat down at the table. Milo released a shudder breath and Natalia seem to hear the distant roar of a jaquar. Milo opened his eyes and looked around confused.

"Mama? Why am I here? What happened?" Milo said softly.

"Calmate, mijo. Everything is alright." Natalia said pouring Milo a cup of tea and sitting it in front of him.

"Mijo, can you tell me about Adriana?" Natalia said softly.

"Yes, Mama. She is an extremely talented clairvoyant. Her mother's family is descended from the Taino like us. She has a very powerful spirit guide a blood..."

"Tigre de Sangre." Natalia finished Milo's words. Milo looked at his mother confused.

"How did you know?" Milo said.