Chapter 11: Little Brother

Diego and Jose stood up and bowed to the two indian chiefs, they were still a little dazed by what they were seeing. Milo had always talked about what he saw but this was the first time they were actually seeing what he saw. Jose moved over to Milo's side and took his hand. Milo squeezed Jose' hand and smiled reassuringly. Diego had also walked to stand next to Adriana, his arm protectively around her waist.

Jumping Wolf looked at his brother, Silent Hawk nodded to the unspoken question in Jumping Wolf's eyes. It was time for the ending of secrets.

Jumping fox began to speak.

Milo and Adriana, you are flesh of our flesh and bone of our bone. Separated long ago by the will of Atabey, the two branches of this tree grew apart and yet each branch has the strength of the whole. It has been the turning of many seasons since Silent Hawk and I had been separated as Atabey commanded, and much has happened in the spirit world which now will affect your world as well. Atabey foresaw that Maboyas, a demon of great power would seek to overthrow her child Macquetuarie, the lord of the Dead and take his place. So in her wisdom she chose to hide the divine spark of Macquetuarie in the one place that Maboyas would never think to look. In the soul of a mortal, using her divine power she separated the divine spark from Macquetuarie and left only a shadow sitting on the throne of the underworld while all that was Macquetuarie she lovingly placed inside a mortal soul.

For generations that soul with its divine spark reincarnated lifetime after lifetime. Atabey waited and watched knowing that Maboyas would be patient and careful in his treachery. Finally Maboyas struck destroying the shadow of Macquetuarie and taking the throne of the underworld. Atabey has done what she could to hold back the evil of Maboyas but it has begun to infect the world of the dead creating nightmares that have begun to slip into the waking world. It is time for Macquetuarie to return and take back his throne from Maboyas. Milo, Adriana, you are the key. You must find the spark of Macquetaurie and help him remember who he is. The spark will be close to you, Atabey made sure that Macquetuarie would be tied to our bloodline. You must find him, protect him, and help him remember who he is.

Silent Hawk looked at Jose and spoke.

You are guarikiti to my grandson, stay close to him, he will need your love and the power that it brings.

Jumping Wolf looked at Diego and spoke.

You are guarikiti to my grandduaghter, she will need your strong arm to protect her and your love to support her.

Then Silent Hawk and Jumping Wolf spoke together.

We entrust our children to your care Guarikiti and pray that Atabey guide your steps. Farewell Blood of our Blood.

At that moment a cloud passed in front of the sun shading the field, when it had passed Silent Hawk and Jumping Wolf were gone.

Milo exhaled becoming conscious of the fact he was holding his breath for the last minute.

Jose was the first to speak "Well, what do we do now and what is a guarikiti?"

Milo burst out laughing and hugged Jose. "Querido you are priceless!"

"What?" Jose said perplexed.

Diego started laughing too and Adriana couldn't help but get caught up in it.

"Jose, you just saw two indian spirit chiefs and heard that the lord of the dead is missing and one of your questions is what is a guarikiti." Diego said smiling.

Milo took pity on Jose. "Querido, guarikiti is a taino word which loosely means beloved one. The grandfathers were recognizing you and Diego as mine and Adriana's partners."