𝟎𝟗 , 𝚗𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚢

( 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗲 ) ✽𐬺𐬿
𐬻𐬾 𝐔𝐍𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐑 | 𝚓𝚘𝚑𝚗 𝚎𝚐𝚊𝚗.

SAN FRANCISCO
1941
———————

// EVELYN WATCHED AS HER SISTER LINED HER LIPS WITH A CHERRY RED LIPSTICK, a colour that stuck out with her blue eyes and blonde hair, complete opposite features of Evelyn.

Nancy got all of their mother's features, while Evelyn was stuck with their fathers — both of whom passed away due to a rare sickness.

"Are you excited?" Evelyn asked, continuing to watch her sister, they were both dressed in nursing uniforms, they both signed up to be nurses for the war that had begun two years ago.

Nancy smiled at her older sister through the mirror, "I can't stop thinking about him. God, Eve, he's so sweet, you should have seen how nervous he was when he proposed." Evelyn listened as Nancy gushed over her boyfriend — now, fiancé.

"I bet." Evelyn muttered, leaning her chin into her palm. Evelyn had boyfriends here and there, but never anything serious — she was more focused on her career rather than settling down with a husband.

Nancy placed down her makeup, twirling around in the small chair, "I don't understand you, Eve. You're so pretty, anyone would be lucky to have you. And you're a damn good nurse." Nancy complimented with a smile, grabbing Evelyn's hand in hers.

Evelyn sighed, running her fingers through the ends of her hair, "I know, but I'm not looking for anything right now. You know that."

"I know," Nancy replied in a mutter, she looked at Evelyn for a moment, before placing a smile on her red lips again, "Here." Nancy moved forward, grabbing her red lipstick and holding Evelyn's head still.

"What are you doing?" Evelyn questioned, but didn't budge from Nancy as she applied to red lipstick to Evelyn's plump lips.

Nancy's smile never faltered, "This is so your colour." She gushed as she allowed Evelyn to look at herself in the mirror.

"No, it's not." Evelyn said, "It's yours."

Nancy shrugged, "Whatever you say. We gotta go." She replied, placing the lipstick in Evelyn's hand before skipping off to the medical area.

Evelyn twisted the lipstick in her hand, 'cherry red' was what the shade of red was called, she looked back into the mirror — Nancy wasn't wrong, the red lipstick did suit Evelyn.

——————

// AFTER A LONG DAY OF HELPING INJURED MEN, Nancy and her fiancé, Ben, decided to treat the nurses and a few other men with dinner at a local diner.

Whenever they went out together, they all silently formed a pact to never talk about the war — it was depressing enough as is.

"So, how's the planning going?" One of the nurses, Janet, questioned the happy couple, whose hands stayed interlocked through the entire dinner.

Nancy and Ben shared a loving smile, Evelyn wondered if love like that would find its way to her. Was that even possible for her?

"Oh, I have so many things I want, but everything is so hard. I can't choose between Tulips or carnations, how am I supposed to choose a dress!" Nancy rushed all her words out in a jumbled mess, half the table couldn't understand her.

The only people that did were Ben and Evelyn, Nancy was a very dramatic person at times, "I heard that when you see it, you just know." Evelyn comforted, but she didn't know if she even believed those words.

Nancy nodded with a smile reappearing on her red lips, "Yeah, same goes for people. I just knew that I loved you since the moment I laid my eyes on you." Nancy turned to Ben, who was entirely captivated by her.

They were cute, Evelyn acknowledged that, but she could never imagine saying something like that. Ever. But, she guessed if you've found your person — or whatever — it's okay. It's not weird, everything just feels right.

Which, so far, has not been something Evelyn has ever felt in her life.

Evelyn cleared her throat, "Well, I'm gonna head back." She sent a smile to the couple, who were almost too wrapped up in eachother to notice Evelyn standing from her chair.

"Oh, are you sure? We can go with you." Nancy suggested in her usual kind-hearted manner, but Evelyn only shook her head.

"No, it's okay. I'll be fine." Evelyn replied, taking the trench coat from her chair. She walked out of the restaurant, feeling the cool breeze hit her in the face.

Evelyn started her walk back to the nurse quarters.

——————

// EVELYN AND NANCY LEFT HOME AT A YOUNG AGE, as soon as they were able to help with the war effort, they did. Their mother and father weren't the best parents in the world, but the sisters knew that they still loved them.

But, then they passed away.

The only reason Nancy joined the war effort was for Evelyn — sure, Evelyn would have been fine on her own, she always had been, but Nancy loved how confident and ambitious Evelyn was, she wanted to follow her sister in her footsteps.

It was no surprise to her, or anyone really, that Evelyn turned out to be the best nurse the San Francisco war effort had ever seen.

Maybe that's why she didn't focus on extra curriculars like Nancy did, maybe that's why Evelyn never settled down with anybody. Nancy always tried to set her up with people, they'd go well at first, but Evelyn always let them go.

Nancy hoped Evelyn would find that special someone like she did with Ben. Maybe one day. And maybe Evelyn won't even know it when she finds him.

———————
HUDSYN SPEAKS!

Flashback chapter! Don't worry, there will be more flashback chapters as the story continues and what happened to Nancy.

Sorry about it being kinda short, but don't worry, I think you'll love ( and possibly hate ) the next chapter.