end up dreaming instead of sleeping ౨ৎ

Natasha was properly exhausted, and the redness in her eyes spoke to that fact. Her sluggish footsteps carried her toward the front door at a snail's pace, and dragging her suitcase up the driveway had never felt like such a difficult task. Beneath the blanket of nightfall, the lawyer questioned if potential theft was worth leaving the luggage abandoned beside Wanda's car in favor of walking into the house empty-handed, but had persisted with her motions when she decided she'd rather not have to go through the process of ordering yet another set of suitcases. Nobody would ever know how she came to have such misfortune with checking bags at the airport, but the running list of lost luggage was long and quite funny to people who weren't her.

Being away for two weeks had felt like torture, and she was more then glad to be back in the space she created with her wife. Seeing your car in the driveway parked behind hers had been an additional bonus. Wanda had relayed very minimal information regarding the events that had led to you spending your nights and days off in Westview, which meant that whatever happened would certainly piss her off, but despite the knowledge of something upsetting you while she was away, it was comforting to know that both of her girls were waiting for her return in the same space.

Natasha struggled to find her keys when she finally made it to the front door, and with greuling efforts she had only barely managed to get the lock to turn on her first try when she'd finally located her keyring in the second smallest pocket of her crossbody bag. The entryway was dark, much like the rest of the house, but the softest glow of light came from a lamp in the living room that hadn't been turned off. Wanda was meticulous about turning everything off before she went to bed, and if she ever had the slightest inquisition about having forgotten, she made rounds through the house to assure nothing had been overseen on her first pass. Leaving the suitcase beside the door, Natasha followed the kiss of light that projected shadows against the wall.

Even though the light was dim, one they used sparingly when a good book captured their attention and the length of sunlight was minimal, the silhouettes of two bodies were easily identifiable. Wanda sat curled up against the arm of the couch, her legs folded beneath her body with her chin propped up against the palm of her hand. You were burrowed into her side, your face pressed into her neck and hiding from the peaks of light that tried to stir you awake. Natasha felt her heart skip at the sight of you so content with one another, knowing that something must have gone right to lead to this tender moment.

"Natalia?" Wanda shifted at the echo of footsteps that hadn't lingered through the house in fourteen days, her lips pulling into a sleep-riddled grin when she made out the distinct appearance of her wife dressed in comfortable black loungewear.

Natasha laughed softly at the expression on her wifes face, stepping close enough to lay a kiss against the crown of her head. "Privet dorogaya."

"She wanted to wait for you. Poor thing was out within the first twenty minutes." Wanda looked down at you, smiling at the easy way about your features when they weren't riddled with stress and sadness. Classes had taken their toll on you, but as you fell into a dream that Wanda could only hope was good, there was an undeniable youth to your features. "I missed you." She pulled Natasha down to her lips, humming in bliss when the recently returned lawyer returned the embrace.

"Missed you too. I almost killed Tony on the third day." Natasha deflated against Wanda, and the Sokovian only laughed softly, knowing that fact was more than accurate. It was honestly surprising he hadn't done something to tick off the Russian earlier. "I'm gonna take a shower. Meet me in bed?"

"I'll be waiting, Mrs. Maximoff." Wanda winked, watching Natasha retreat up the stairs, and minutes later the telltale sound of the shower running filled the house that had existed in near complete silence since the day she left. Wanda didn't move from the couch, wanting to spend a few more minutes with you at her side before the peace was interrupted. When you stirred, trying to find a more comfortable position and ultimately failing, you groaned in annoyance. "Morning, sleepyhead."

"No. Goodnight." You pressed your face into Wanda's neck, covering the side of your face with your palm as even the close contact couldn't completely coat you in craved for darkness.

Wanda laughed at your attempt to find sleep, but she didn't allow you to succeed. She sat up straight, subsequently causing your body to twist at an awkward angle that would only be soothed if you shifted position too. You sighed, rubbing sleep from your eyes, deciding that it wasn't going to be coming over you again for at least another handful of minutes.

"Is Natty home?" You perked up, hearing the shower running upstairs.

Wanda smirked at your delayed realization, nodding her head in the direction of the stairs. "Mmhm. Come on, she came in a couple minutes ago."

You followed the Sokovian up the stairs, pointedly ignoring the embarrassment that settled across your cheeks when you sleepily stumbled into the wall after miscalculating the distance to the door of their bedroom. You flopped against the bed the second you were close enough, claiming your rightful position in the middle of the blankets.

"Getting comfy now, are we?" Wanda laughed at your eagerness to settle into her bed, but she hadn't expected the night to unfold any differently, though your impromptu cuddle session on the couch had not been a wrench she'd expected to see thrown into those plans.

You didn't cuddle back into her chest when she laid down in the bed beside you, but you didn't shuffle away from her either. Your legs touched beneath the heavy white blanket that was pulled up over your shoulders, an eager smile on your lips as you heard the shower water turn off and Natasha mumbling beneath her breath as she fumbled through drawers and cabinets.

"Two weeks away and she's forgotten where she put her hairbrush." Wanda rolled her eyes, but there was no trace of annoyance in her features as she watched the door with the same amount of excitement as you.

When Natasha did reappear, dressed in a different set of loungewear and with her red waves cascading down her back in a dampened state, you wiggled closer to Wanda and patted the open space beside you. Little words were spoken, but nothing needed to be said when your bright smile spoke a million inexpressible feelings. Happy to be home, Natasha took full advantage of having both you and Wanda with her. She pulled you flush against her back, restraining your movement, but you had missed her heavy arm being thrown around your waist as you slept so you didn't protest. Her fingers twisted into Wanda's like they'd never truly belong anywhere else, and with full darkness surrounding the room, you fell back to sleep.

"I love you." Natasha whispered to Wanda, stroking the woman's knuckles with the calloused pad of her thumb.

"I love you too, moya lyubov'."