it was never mine

Everything around you had been cemented in false permanence that you weren't quite ready to give up just yet, or ever. The weather, the sunsets, the arms you fell into at night; a month into the summer holidays and you could no longer deny that your feelings for Wanda and Natasha were merely a result of the situation. You wanted them, in every way they would give themselves to you. You yearned for their laughter, and to join in on the soft kisses that came by the kitchen window every morning like a sacred routine. You wanted their eternal company and the lingering presence of where their gentle touch had lied even when they went away. To put it simply: you crave something that will never come. The terms of your contract were made clear when you signed them, but you were naive to have ever thought you wouldn't catch feelings.

With June halfway through and July on the cusp, the bed the couple fell into each night was practically your own now too, and clothes you wore frequently had been given an official place in the master en-suite closet beside Natasha's. Some mornings, when sleep had been hard to claim and exhaustion carried over into sunrise, you couldn't distinguish between what was hers and what was yours. When those days came like unexpected storm clouds, the gravity of your predicament clung to your skin like the disappointment of cold rain on a tropical vacation.

Westview came alive in the summer months, like most shore towns in Jersey did once schools were out. The small town wasn't one that you had been familiar with prior to signing the contract, rather isolated and forgotten about between the bigger beaches that bordered it, but now you that you knew of it and had seen it in the winter, you couldn't imagine hard days without that small ice cream shop four blocks from the Maximoff's, nor do you think you could survive hard semesters without escaping to the deserted edge of solid ground only locals visited when pale snow kissed tan sand.

When sunshine became too bright to ignore, you were the last in the house to stir awake. The master bedroom was quiet, too quiet, save for the blue jays that chirped just beyond the sun-warm window. You sighed at the muted colors that adorned the walls and furniture within the room, wondering how some places could feel so lived in and empty in the same breath. You had to force yourself out of bed, though you would've rather stayed burrowed beneath thick blankets and pillows made of clouds until they fused to your three-day-old marked skin. Your routine may not have been as sweet as the married women who lingered somewhere beneath you, probably cuddled up close on the couch in the living room or laughing together in the kitchen over a memory you weren't privy to knowing, but it had become something cherished since joining them in bed at night. Your fingers, cold from their lack of use throughout the night, trailed over the hickies that discolored your skin. The touch was softer than silk, fear clouding your impulses as you wondered if today would be the day they disappeared into nothing but another memory. In prior relationships, you'd always hated when your partner left you with physical remnants of the intimate connection you'd sought from them. It had always felt cliche and admittedly demeaning when you'd then have to walk around with splotches of burgundy peeking out from beneath clothes, but there was something different about the way you allowed Wanda and Natasha to claim you. Perhaps it was the sick pride you harbored just by knowing that your body was solely theirs to mark, or maybe it was your own twisted need to convince your mind that they cared for you the same way you did them like your heart so desperately wanted to believe. Either way, the love bites strewn across your neck lived to see another day if the intense sensitivity was any indication of their presence, and with the confirmation that everything you've devoted yourself to hadn't completely fallen away yet, the dread you faced like an endless mirror melted away to be stared at later on.

With no energy to actually get dressed, because even a full night's sleep had felt like simple minutes recently, you didn't even bother walking into the closet where your favorite outfits remained hung up on expensive metal hangers. You'd only stare at them blankly, no pull to anything in particular, until you walked away still clad in paint splattered shorts and a t-shirt you'd owned since high school. Every morning Wanda would say that the pajamas you wore weren't allowed to exist outside of the house, and every day Natasha would drag you out for a walk while still wearing them. It was like they couldn't agree on how to help you, but both women had noticed your shift in attitude even if they didn't know the cause. You weren't their lively girl anymore. You didn't jump at the chance to skip down the pier holding tightly onto Natasha's hand, you didn't fling yourself off the countertops just because you knew it worried Wanda, and you didn't bounce between offices seeking attention from whoever gave it first. As each day passed and another one came to the surface, you only got farther from the woman that they had loved. The woman you believed was unlovable.