012 Interrogation (Part 1)

Early in the morning, Reno was awakened by a rapid doorbell.

Opening his eyes, Reno knocked on the wall, and Russell Hill's face appeared on the opposite wall.

Seeing him, Reno knew he wouldn't have a good day.

Still, he maintained his composure and said, "It's only 7:30 in the morning, Mr. Hill. What brings you here so early to see me?"

Russell Hill replied, "It's an invitation, Captain Reno. I still have some questions about the Abronado, and perhaps you can help me answer them. So, I would like to invite you to the Federal Fleet Investigation Bureau for a morning tea."

Reno paused.

Being invited by security agencies for tea wasn't a good sign. In those places, having tea was often a euphemism for interrogation.

Reno wasn't familiar with the style of the Federal Fleet Investigation Bureau, but he knew the modus operandi of security agencies. Regardless of the type of security structure, such invitations rarely spelled good news.

Looking deeply at Russell Hill, Reno said, "Can't we talk here?"

"The conversation involves some confidential matters, and we may need to make some preparations. You know, lawyers are troublesome these days, and we have to be careful," Russell Hill explained.

Reno furrowed his brows even deeper. "Can I understand that you hold serious doubts about everything that happened on the Abronado and have begun to attempt formal charges against me personally?"

"No, no, no, no!" Russell Hill hurriedly said, "Please don't misunderstand, Mr. Reno. This is just a conversation, but I don't rule out the possibility that what you say could become evidence. I mean... whether any charges will be brought depends on your performance."

Reno coldly replied, "I thought it should depend on the facts."

"I thought it depended on the truth," Russell Hill countered with a smile.

...

An hour later, Reno appeared in the "reception room" of the Federal Fleet Investigation Bureau.

It was an empty room, with only a table, two chairs, and nothing else.

The room was glaringly white, giving it a somewhat eerie feel.

Reno sat facing the door, while Russell Hill sat opposite him, accompanied by a female investigator who looked relatively young, with a round face and glasses perched on her nose.

Although she looked sweet, her expression towards Reno was anything but sweet; instead, it was rather fierce.

From her gaze, Reno could sense disdain and contempt, as if she were looking at some scum.

This made Reno's heart sink slightly.

"Before we begin, would you like something to drink, Captain Reno?" Russell Hill asked with an innocent smile.

After thinking for a moment, Reno replied, "Coffee, please. Also, please don't call me captain; I'm no longer a captain."

"Okay, in that case, I'll call you Commander Reno. After all, you're still the mech commander of the squadron, right?" Russell Hill snapped his fingers, and a guard entered from outside, "A cup of coffee, thank you."

Then he activated the holocorder and said to Reno, "So, let's begin. Commander Reno, on February 12th, 7455 Earth Calendar, the Abronado and four other starships received orders from the Earth Fleet to execute a secret mission in the Bojiang Constellation. If I'm not mistaken, the mission was to retrieve a certain special item, right?"