013 Interrogation (Continued)

The coffee was brought up.

Reno took a sip, savoring its bitterness and sweetness.

His expression was focused, as if he were not tasting coffee, but life itself.

His fingertips lightly traced the edge of the coffee cup, his gaze deep and confident.

He smiled.

"You've been eyeing my legs," he said.

This statement caught Russell Hill off guard.

Reno continued, "From a psychological perspective, when a subject is being interrogated, constantly changing sitting positions is a sign of nervousness and unease. Agents are adept at finding loopholes in these body languages. For those without professional training, their body language exposes them regardless of the lies they tell. Some people tend to fidget or cross and uncross their legs while lying. Additionally, they may cover their face with their hands, trying to conceal their anxiety, not realizing that these behaviors betray them."

He looked at Russell Hill and smiled, "So, you need to pay attention. Observe my actions, listen carefully to my words, analyze whether there are lies in what I say. Oh, and by the way, you don't need to hide the lie detector under the table; just bring it out in the open."

Russell Hill exchanged glances with the female investigator and retrieved a small box from under the table.

This box was the lie detector, used to accurately analyze lies. Despite its improved accuracy, due to the complexity and control of human behavior, its precision never reached one hundred percent, thus making it an auxiliary tool rather than conclusive evidence.

Reno placed his hands on the table, suddenly adopting a stern expression, "Alec Corckett was an outstanding officer. I knew him, admired him, respected him, and would never murder him. Regarding your questions, I can only tell you that during the incident, as Captain Jeram summoned all officers of the rank of major and above for a meeting, I did not attend. Everything that happened was only known to us later. When a battle breaks out, the scene is usually chaotic. Everyone is focused on self-preservation, with no time to remember details. You ask me why Corckett's chip wasn't vaporized by the energy cannon. I can only say I don't know because I wasn't there. I was at my post, in the mech bay. When the Divine Clan attacked, I led the mech squadron to engage in combat. It wasn't until the bad news arrived that I learned I had become the captain of the Abronado. It's normal for misunderstandings to arise due to these circumstances."

Pausing for a moment, Reno continued, "As for your assertion that Corckett was murdered, it is indeed a shocking possibility. But I do not believe the Abronado experienced such an event without my knowledge. Personally, I view it differently. Is it possible that Corckett wasn't shot but rather, during the Divine Clan's attack on the Abronado, the starship sustained damage, causing internal facilities to be destroyed, and a piece of machinery flew out, passing through Corckett's head? As you mentioned, the chip's information indicates head trauma, skull fracture, severe brain and brainstem damage... It didn't specify a gunshot wound."

Russell Hill's expression changed, becoming extremely unpleasant.

Reno continued, "Even if he was indeed murdered, what evidence do you have to link it to me? Just because I benefited from the deaths of the officers? Maybe I need to correct your understanding on this matter. I am not a beneficiary; I merely assumed a heavy burden, like carrying a mountain, a burden that can crush a person. Mr. Hill, perhaps in your eyes, the world is full of conspiracies and murders, but in the eyes of a soldier, the world is sometimes simple—life and death. You don't understand what it's like to lose leaders on the battlefield. Chaos, disarray, no one to lead, everyone fighting on their own, and the inevitable outcome is death!" Reno's voice suddenly rose, filled with excitement and anger.