Chapter One

The Return

The Return

Dearest Readers, This Author has some exciting news

Dearest Readers, This Author has some exciting news. With the start of a new season, new faces have emerged.

"I do not see why it is necessary for all this fuss," the red-haired young woman stated as she walked up the stairs of her family home.

"Priscilla, you've been absent for four long years," Portia Featherington remarked, trailing her eldest. "And now, you return with a delicate situation. We must navigate this carefully, especially with that Whistledown woman and her scandalous paper. We cannot risk further alienation from society." 

Priscilla rolled her eyes at her mother's theatrics as she entered her bedroom. She ignored her mother's sermon as she pulled the sheer curtain slightly aside, looking to the house across from them—the wisteria-covered residence belonging to the Bridgertons.

Lady Featherington's eldest daughter, Priscilla, has returned to the ton since her mysterious departure four years ago.

"Are you listening to me, Priscilla?"

She sighed, letting the curtain fall back into place. "Yes, Mother. You have my undivided attention," she said, turning back to face her mother, who stood with a pinched expression and her hands on her hips.

Portia sighed, letting her hands drop. "I truly did miss you, Priscilla," she said, looking at her eldest daughter before composing herself. "Now, who is the boy's father?"

"Does it matter?" Priscilla questioned, knowing the answer.

"Of course, it matters. Is he a member of society? If so, does he belong to a well-known family?" Portia questioned, looking from her daughter to the three-year-old playing with a wooden horse.

"Mother, who Henry's father is does not matter," Priscilla said, careful to keep her voice down.

"On the contrary, it is important. Are you keeping it a secret to protect yourself or him? He's not a married man, is he?" Portia said scandalized at the thought of her daughter possibly involving herself with a married man.