006. one of us

The siblings were on the Sylvania Bridge by nightfall

The siblings were on the Sylvania Bridge by nightfall. The only lights that illuminated their way were the street lamps scattered on either side of the bridge and the moon that caressed their faces as they walked. Both brothers stood on either side of Mallory as they strolled along until she stopped to lean over the railing and look down at the river.

    "So, this is where Constance took the swan dive," Dean said as he followed his sister's gaze downward.

    "You think Dad's been here?" Sam asked, turning toward his brother and pushing his hands into the pockets of his hoodie.

    Dean shrugged. "Well, he's chasing the same story and we're chasing him."

    Mallory huffed a sigh, leaning back against the railing and crossing one leg over the other. "So, now what?" she cocked her head, brown curls falling in waves down her shoulder.

    "Now we keep digging 'til we find him," Dean answered as though it should have been obvious. "It could take a while."

    "Dean," Sam said, a hint of annoyance in his tone, stopping in his tracks. "I already told you I've gotta get back by-"

    "Monday," Dean finished for his younger brother with a slight eye roll, nodding. "Right. The interview."

    "Yeah," Sam lifted his eyebrows, nodding.

    Dean sighed. "I suppose we can make it a duo," he said, turning toward his sister with a look on his face that the eldest Winchester sibling knew all too well.

Do not guilt him.

    "Uh, have you forgotten I have a job?" Mallory questioned, folding her arms over her chest. "I can't just be gone indefinitely."

    "Why not?" Dean frowned. "You said you told everyone before you left, right? They can't get someone to fill in?"

    "Dean, I have patients. Patients who are not going to wait around for their therapist to come home from playing Ghostbusters," Mallory's dark eyebrows rose. "You know that."

"Wow, you guys are serious about this, aren't you?" Dean scoffed.

"Why would you think otherwise?" Sam frowned, his brow furrowing slightly as he shook his head. "Mallory has had her counseling center for two years now and I'm about to graduate."

"So what, Sam?" Dean turned to face his younger brother. "You think you're just gonna become some lawyer? Marry your girl?"

"Maybe, why not?" Sam demanded.

"Does Jessica know the truth about you?" Dean countered. "Does she know about the things you've done?"

"Dean," Mallory warned, green eyes hard and authoritative. "Don't go there."

You know better.

Sam scoffed, taking a step closer to his older brother. "No, and she's not ever gonna know."