004. rookie's day out

Once Sam had gotten his stuff together and said goodbye to his girlfriend Jessica, the three siblings piled back into the car and headed back on the road

Once Sam had gotten his stuff together and said goodbye to his girlfriend Jessica, the three siblings piled back into the car and headed back on the road. By the time the sun had risen, Dean pulled into a gas station to fuel the car and stock up on snacks.
Mallory sat in the front seat of the car with the door open, quietly singing along to the radio as "Ramblin' Man" played quietly on the radio. Meanwhile, Sam was in the backseat looking through Dean's cassette tape collection.

"How's Jess, bub?" Mallory asked as she glanced up at her little brother in the rearview mirror. "I hate that I didn't get to say hey to her."

"She's good. No offense, but considering Dean broke in, I'm kind of glad you didn't come with him. I'd prefer her not to think my entire family is crazy."

Mallory snorted, shaking her head. "Fair enough."

Dean poked his head around the corner, hands full of junk food. "Hey," he called to his siblings, holding up the items. "You guys want breakfast?"

Mallory leaned out of the car and shook her head. "I'm good, thanks."

Sam frowned. "How'd you pay for that stuff? You and Dad still runnin' those credit card scams?"

Dean snorted quietly as he put the nozzle back on the pump. "Well, hunting ain't exactly a pro ball career. Besides, all we do is apply. Not our fault they send us the cards."

"And what names did you write on the application this time?" Mallory arched an eyebrow as she swung her legs back into the car, shutting the door behind her.

"Uh, Burt Aframian," Dean answered as he got into the driver's seat. "And his son Hector," he quirked a grin. "Scored two cards out of the deal."

"Sounds about right," Mallory shook her head as Sam leaned forward from the back of the car.

"I swear, Dean, you gotta update your cassette tape collection."

Dean frowned. "Why?"

"Well, for starters, they're cassette tapes," Sam snarked, earning a snicker and a grin from his big sister. "And two, Black Sabbath? Motorhead? Metallica?" his eyebrows lifted as Dean reached over his shoulders to snatch the box of tapes from his little brother's lap. "It's the greatest hits of mullet rock."

"House rules, Sammy," Dean replied as he popped a tape into the player. "Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole."

Mallory frowned, holding her hands out. "Excuse me, what the fuck did I do?"

Dean rolled his eyes. "Sorry, passengers shut their cakeholes," he replied as he dropped a tape back into the box before starting the engine.

"You know, Sammy is a chubby twelve-year-old," Sam told his brother as "Back in Black" began to play. "It's Sam."

"What?" Dean yelled over the music. "Sorry, I can't hear you. Music's too loud."