Chapter 1: Prolonge

At number twelve Grimmauled Place trouble brewing between old school rivals...

I suppose because it is a headmaster's privilege to delegate less enjoyable tasks," said Snape silkily. "I assure you I did not beg for the job." He got to his feet. "I will expect you at six o'clock on Monday evening, Potter. My office. If anybody asks, you are taking remedial Potions. Nobody who has seen you in my classes could deny you need them."

He turned to leave, his black travelling cloak billowing behind him.

"Wait a moment," said Sirius, sitting up straighter in his chair.

Snape turned back to face them, sneering.

"I am in rather a hurry, Black. Unlike you, I do not have unlimited leisure time."

"Git" muttered Bella quietly so neither Sirius nor Snape heard.

"I'll get to the point, then," said Sirius, standing up. He was rather taller than Snape who, Sammy noticed, balled his fist in the pocket of his cloak over what Sammy was sure was the handle of his wand. "If I hear you're using these Occlumency lessons to give Sammy a hard time, you'll have me to answer to."

"How touching," Snape sneered. "But surely you have noticed that Potter is very like her father?"

"Yes, I have," said Sirius proudly.

"Well then, you'll know she's so arrogant that criticism simply bounces off her," Snape said sleekly.

Sirius pushed his chair roughly aside and strode around the table towards Snape, pulling out his wand as he went. Snape whipped out his own. They were squaring up to each other, Sirius looking livid, Snape calculating, his eyes darting from Sirius's wand-tip to his face.

"Sirius!" said Sammy loudly, but Sirius appeared not to hear her.

"I've warned you, Snivellus," said Sirius, his face barely a foot from Snape's, "I don't care if Dumbledore thinks you've reformed, I know better -"

"Oh, but why don't you tell him so?" whispered Snape. "Or are you afraid he might not take very seriously the advice of a man who has been hiding inside his mother's house for six months?"

"Tell me, how is Lucius Malfoy these days? I expect he's delighted his lapdog's working at Hogwarts, isn't he?"

"Speaking of dogs," said Snape softly, "did you know that Lucius Malfoy recognized you last time you risked a little jaunt outside? Clever idea, Black, getting yourself seen on a safe station platform… gave you a cast-iron excuse not to leave your hidey-hole in future, didn't it?"

Sirius raised his wand.

"NO!" Sammy yelled, vaulting over the table and trying to get in between them. "Sirius, don't!"

"Are you calling me a coward?" roared Sirius, trying to push Bella out of the way, but Bella would not budge.

"Why, yes, I suppose I am," said Snape.

"Samaria - get - out - of - it!" snarled Sirius, pushing her aside with his free hand.

The kitchen door opened and the entire Weasley family, plus Hermione, her younger twin siblings, Jacques "Jackie" his twin Jamesina "Jamie" and her youngest sister, Leilani "Lani" and cousin, Magdalena "Maggie" came inside, all looking very happy, with Mr. Weasley walking proudly in their midst dressed in a pair of striped pajamas covered by a mackintosh.

"Cured!" he announced brightly to the kitchen at large. "Completely cured!"

He and all the other Weasleys froze on the threshold, gazing at the scene in front of them, which was also suspended in mid-action, both Sirius and Snape looking towards the door with their wands pointing into each other's faces and Sammy immobile between them, a hand stretched out to each, trying to force them apart.