Chapter Two

I hadn't remembered it being nearly as chilly when I had stood out here only a mere half an hour ago. The silhouette of the streetlamp stood still on the pavement and as I walked around the corner of the building, I prayed that by some miracle the asshole was only joking with me and that my little car would still be there. I cursed, taking my hair out of the bun that was wound so tightly around that I was getting a headache and shook it free, allowing the long honey brown curls to cascade down my back. What the stranger hadn't realized was that my house key was attached to my car keys - which he stole.

Patting my back pocket, I was glad that I had decided to keep my phone on me instead of throwing it in with the other stuff in the bag which I have done countless times before. Quickly entering the code, quite aggressively might I add, I was relieved to find that I still had 64% left of the battery. Taking the device off of do not disturb mode, I scrolled through the messages that had been left while I was busy. Three had been from Gio and the fourth from an unknown number.

11:45 PM (Gio)
Don't forget, the password is: TTUiOP1YN2YTUj

11:48 PM (Gio)
Don't stay any longer than fifteen minutes in the office, they check on the security cameras often.

What security cameras, I thought to myself. I had looked over the entire room and had seen nothing.

12:00 AM (Gio)
Your ass better be out of there by now Kiera this shit isn't something to lolly-dag around about. Don't be stupid.

12:05 AM (Unknown)
It's a little chilly princess, hope your walk home tonight isn't too cold. Be back in two days Kiera. Don't make me come find you. I enjoy a little game of hide and seek every once in a while but I'm not in the mood to play with you. Enjoy your night.

Enjoy my night? Is this dude delusional! First you stole my bag THEN you take my car and you're telling me to have a good night? It will take a half an hour for me to get back to my apartment and that's if I keep up a relatively fast pace. I huffed, crossing my arms across my chest in an attempt to hug myself and keep warm as I walked onto the main sidewalk and started my long trip home. Honestly, what is the probability of him actually telling every taxi driver in the city not to pick me up? I asked myself. And if they won't pick me up, I'm sure a kind pedestrian would be more than happy to, not that I would have any gas money to offer them as gratitude.

Thunder rolled in the distance, and I prayed to all that is holy that it would stay dry at least until I got to shelter. Maybe I can just pick the apartment door's shitty lock with a stray bobby pin that I found in my pocket. Several taxis had passed me within the first ten minutes of my walk and just as the mysterious person had said would happen, they didn't even spare me a second glance. I had been standing next to another lady at one of the bus stops and went to board with her and just as she reached the first stair the driver shut the door!

Throwing my hands up I glared at the bus driver who sat so straight and so tensed up that my back almost hurt for her.

"What the hell?" I yelled.

The corners of her mouth pulled down and I watched as her fingers began to drum on the steering wheel while the woman found a seat. As soon as the lady sat down the bus lurched forward and sped away, leaving me once again alone. It's New York, I reminded myself, I'll run into someone else soon and maybe they'll have a car or a friend who can come pick us up.

Hitch hiking was never really my thing, but I was desperate and honestly a little scared having been blacklisted from all of the taxi companies and apparently even the bus stations. As I continued my stroll, I tried to think of anyone that I could call or text. None of my family lived in New York and the closest relative was six hours away so that was a no go.