Chapter 17.

It might not look like it, but Song Y/N's mind was blank at the moment. If someone were to look at her and guess, it might be mistaken that she was thinking about something serious or deep. But the truth was that she really was thinking about nothing.

Her eyes were trained on the tall cup of a half-finished caramel macchiato. The ice cubes in it had already melted and she watched, almost in a daze as condensation formed on the surface of the cup and rolled down into the brown tissue paper underneath it.

She sighed, deep and full of thought. "Do you think we'll ever be friends?" She mumbled, cheek resting on her palm as her other hand held a small fork that she used to push around the blueberry cheesecake on her plate.

She waited for a few seconds but upon being greeted by utter silence, she finally looked up at the girl across her. Her eyes narrowed at the scene that greeted her. Of course. Noh Jihye was too busy stuffing her face to pay attention to anything else. With a sigh, Y/N rubbed at her temples, trying to make the irritation she was feeling for the girl, go away.

"Yah, Noh Jihye!"

"Huh, what?" Finally, Jihye turned to her, eyes wide in confusion and mouth half full. "You sayin' something?" She asked out before continuing to chew.

Y/N rolled her eyes but everything else aside, she felt her face heat up. "...me and Bada... do you think we'll ever be friends?" She asked slowly as if she's choosing her words or as if hesitating whether she should even be asking the question out loud.

"Eh?" Jihye paused, fork high in the air as she was about to take another bite. She blinked, once and then twice as if she was soaking up Y/N's every word. And then, she snickered. "That's funny." She shook her head and took a bite of the cake.

Y/N didn't say anything. And it was that very silence, strangely enough, that made Jihye look at her again. She watched as her friend's brows threatened to meet before they rose high as Jihye's eyes widened with a gasp.

"Y/N... you're serious?"

Y/N raised a brow. "Why would I be joking?"

Jihye's lips pursed into a tight line. "Y/N..." She began as she took some tissue to wipe her hands. "No exes ever become friends. Trust me."

"Eh? Why not?" With that, Y/N sat up straight completely as she turned her full attention to the girl.

"Hmmm, how do I put it?" Jihye rubbed at her chin in thought. "Let's just say that exes only become friends because of one of two reasons." She stated and clasped her hands together before resting her chin on top of them.

"Which are?" Y/N pushed as the other girl stalled around, much to her annoyance.

"First is that they never really loved each other. Or the second, they still have feelings for each other."

At the answer, Y/n found herself reeling back with a slight wince. "That's... too extreme." She mumbled but Jihye just shrugged at her.

"I guess that's just the fine art of exes," Jihye replied before picking up another butterscotch cookie and pointing it to Y/N with a smirk. "So... which one is it?"

That smirk only grew wider and more Chesire-like as Y/n felt her face warming up. She cleared her throat and looked away. "Neither. Can't exes really never become friends even with closure?"

Jihye's smirk didn't disappear and she repeatedly blinked at Y/N. "Do you wanna find out?"

"Whatever." Y/N rolled her eyes and picked up her drink. "There's never any sense talking to you."

"Sure, Y/N... whatever you say."

As Y/n took a sip of her cold drink (in an attempt to cool down the heat on her face), her eyes wandered around the small cafe. They are currently in a lunch break and between the tense practice room and everything else that happened over the short span of five days, she felt like she needed this. Besides, who was she to decline when Jihye insisted to pay for the both of them?