Chapter 8 (Victoria + Sarah)

Art by KaijuSeijin on Deviant Art

Sarah wiped her red eyes against her sleeve, slightly embarrassed, as she made her way back to the campus. She was quite confused. Victoria had made it clear that she hated Sarah for the past week. Then, she goes and pulls something like that! Sarah was not happy to have been caught in such a vulnerable moment. 

The outbursts had been happening a couple of times a day since the first time. It had been terrifying that first time. Sarah had gone blasting through the woods, stomach clutched in pain. She had felt freezing and scared for her life. When she got to the clearing, it was perfectly normal. When she left, it was frozen solid.

It had been Sarah's secret for a while. She thought it wasn't normal and didn't know anybody who could help. Victoria had said that no cryomancers had been seen in hundreds of years. But now... Victoria knew. Sarah didn't know how that would change things, but she hoped it wouldn't be too bad right?

What happened wasn't anything Sarah could have expected. Sarah was sketching in her dorm when someone knocked.

"Who is it?" she asked.

"Victoria," the voice said softly.

Sarah hesitated. Victoria's dorm was right next to hers — thanks a lot Marcus — so she had easy access to see Sarah.

"Okay," Sarah replied.

Victoria poked her head inside the door.

"I just wanted to make sure you're okay."

"Yeah, I'm fine."

Victoria smiled and said, "Just remember to find time to let your magic out. Or it'll keep happening."

"Yeah. Thanks."

Victoria closed the door and her footsteps faded back into her room. Sarah looked back to her sketchbook. She was still drawing the fire and ice together.

"Stupid sketchbook," she grumbled, "It'll never happen."

She snapped the book closed and threw it onto her desk. Her room was quite bland, since she just moved here and didn't have time to personalize it yet, and her desk wasn't covered in any papers at the moment, so the book clattered onto the wood without disturbing anything.

Sarah curled up into a ball and pressed her back against the wall.

"Why does everything have to be so hard," she whispered.

As she sat there, the wall began to warm. Sarah took a deep breath in and let the heat wash over her. Finally, some warmth. She was always cold.  Pulling her blanket up to the wall with her, she fell asleep.

Victoria sat down on her bed. Perplexed. Why did she suddenly care so much? It didn't logically make sense. Well, she guessed she didn't just suddenly start caring. She had always cared, just tried not to. But why did she care was the question.

She groaned and flopped back onto her bed. 

"Fine," she said, "I do care about Sarah. There. I said it."

The Universe didn't respond. Obviously.

"Ugh," she groaned and curled under the covers against the wall. It was getting dark.

She was surprised to feel the wall was cold. It felt nice though, since Victoria was always warm. She curled up against the wall and let herself drift off.

And so both girls went to bed, oblivious to the other finding comfort in them and to them finding comfort in the other.  Little did they know the connection between them would only grow, and so would the power seeking to use it.

Comment what kind of Mage you'd want to be!

Aeromancer

Hydromancer

Geomancer

Electromancer

Floramancer

Pyromancer

Cryomancer

Photomancer

Umbramancer