Chapter 16: The Ball

I was about to enter the ballroom

"Alice."

I stopped and turned around to see Aslan standing behind me. I never even heard him sneak up on me.

"Aslan?" I asked.

"Did Susan speak to you?" He asked.

My eyes widened as I remembered that strange conversation.

"She did. The wand, how can it be unmade? What does that even mean?" I asked him. I tried to keep myself from sounding desperate. But I was. I hated my curse.

"The wand must be melted by the mystical fires of the Phoenix," Aslan explained.

I frowned. "So breaking it, that wasn't enough?"

Aslan sighed. "I'm afraid not."

I stood tall. "So let's do it. Let's melt the wand," I urged.

"We can't."

I stared at Aslan. A mix of feelings I didn't even want to unravel swooped down on me.

"Why not?" I asked. The Lion padded up to me, and I stroked his main, trying to keep the tears at bay.

"One of the Witches dwarves found the broken pieces and made off with them. I've searched the entire battleground. They were gone. It's the only explanation," Aslan insisted sadly.

I took my hand away. "It's alright."

Aslan smiled sadly at me.

I pressed my lips together and turned toward the ballroom. "I have my amulet. And many friends to help me if I lose it. Everything will be ok," I said.

I could only hope I was right.

"Go enjoy the ball, Alice," Aslan instructed.

"I will. Thank you for telling me," I whispered.

I left the Lion and walked into the ballroom. The dancing had already begun. Peter was spinning around with Susan while Mr. Tumnes and Lucy were surveying the confections.

I stepped over to the punch table and spotted Edmund trapped between two young fawns. I covered my mouth with my hand to smother my laughter as the two fawns pulled Edmund's arms in different directions. The poor boy looked at a loss of what to do.

I sighed. "I'm so nice sometimes."

I rushed over and cleared my throat to gain the fawns's attention. They gasped and stepped back a few inches from the king.

"Edmund, shall we get some punch?" I asked.

Without waiting for an answer, I took Edmund's hand and led him away from the two love crazy fawns.

"Thank you! I was beginning to think they were going to pull my arms off," Edmund exclaimed. A dwarf walked up to us. "Punch, your magesties?" He asked.

I accepted a glass of the purple liquid. "Thank you," I told the dwarf. Edmund took a glass as well.

"What held you up?" Asked Edmund.

"Hmm?" I asked while sipping.

"Why didn't you come in with Lucy and Susan?" Edmund asked again.

I lowered my glass. "Aslan. He was talking to me about my curse. He found out how to break it," I said with a sigh.

Edmund frowned. "Then why do you sound so...down?" He asked quietly.

We were interupted by Peter and Susan.

"Edmund, you promised me a dance," Susan reminded him.

"Yeah yeah," replied Ed. Peter laughed at his brother. "Just don't trip like you did in class," Peter teased.

Edmund took Susan's hand and lead her to the dance floor.

Leaving me and Peter.

"Everything alright?" He asked. He was smiling, but he sounded worried.

"Of course." I set my goblet of punch on a passing tray and watched as it got carried off into the fray.

"Well then, shall we?"

I turned my attention back to Peter. He was holding out his hand.

I took it and grinned. My first real dance. And it was with Peter.

We walked out onto the dance floor. Peter held my hand and his other went around my waist. I put my other on his shoulder, just like in dance class. Except not at all because I'd never danced with Peter before.

We begun the steps. At first I was nervous I'd mess it up. But Peter made sure we kept it going smoothly.

"I was worried you know," he stated.

My eyes met his blue ones. "Why is that?" I inquired.

Peter spun me around in time with the music. When I came back into his arms he continued. "You were late."

I grinned sheepishly. "Wardrobe malfunctions."

Peter's face returned to its happy state.

Peter and I danced for two rounds before my feet begged for a reprieve. I sat down near the wall and rested. Mr. Tumnus brought me a glass of water and a slice of red velvet cake.

"You'll be back on your feet in no time!" The fawn assured me.

The rest of the night was a blast. I danced with Edmund and Susan and Lucy. Peter and I did a few more rounds as well. Even Tumnus decided to try his luck. I accepted eagerly.

But all good times must come to an end. We bid our people goodnight and left for our personal chambers.

Once I was in my nightgown, I crawled under the covers and blew out my candle.

I closed my eyes.

And I dreamt of my parents.