Chapter Five

It was finally Friday, and Y/N was looking forward to spending the weekend recovering from a week of non-stop exams, cramming, and a nonexistent sleep schedule. The morning's classes had been a drag so far, and they were looking forward to the reprieve of Keating's class. Knowing they'd be in close proximity to their admirer aside, Keating's class gave them an opportunity to activate another part of their brain—one concerned less with grades and formulas.

No, this part was more concerned with matters of feeling. Matters of love, art, expression—everything crucial to finding true meaning in life.

Meaning.

Something that Y/N's life—and the students of Welton's lives—was severely lacking.

Y/N shoved the existential crisis to the back of their mind, shooting Todd a smile as he occupied the desk at the front of the class.

Their desk compartment was empty aside from their textbook and notes. Y/N felt their heart drop. It had been empty for days.

Did I make a mistake leaving that poem?

Y/N did their best to not look disappointed. The only thing more embarrassing than their poet's lack of response was the thought of him observing their discontent.

Keating's class didn't give them much reprieve that day.

_________________________________________

Against their better judgment, Y/N found themselves in the library during common hour. In all truth, Y/N just wanted to go back to their dorm and bang their head against the wall until they fell asleep. Alas, the expectation of a 4.0 GPA was looming over their head.

Thankfully, Meeks was the only other person to show up. Y/N didn't think they had the strength to deal with Dalton.

"So are you just going to keep side eyeing me, or do you have something to say?" Y/N set down their pencil and turned to face Meeks.

"Y/N, you've sighed three times within the last minute," Meeks quipped, "seems like you're the one with something to say."

"But I'm right, though. You have something you want to say."

"I'll share with the class if you will."

The two stared at each other for a moment—Meeks' expression much lighter compared to Y/N's frustrated features.

Y/N gave in first.

"I'm tired, Meeks."

"Of?..."

"Everything."

"You're going to have to give me a little more here, Y/N."

"..."

"I'm waiting."

"My GPA dropped to a 3.7," Y/N's gaze was fixed to the table, "my parents are not happy. I feel like all I ever do is try, but it's not enough, and it never will be. My social life is practically nonexistent, I don't remember the last time I had fun, and I can feel my spirit dying. Some days it feels like I'm dying."

"You're more than your grades, Y/N. You have to know that."

"I know that, Meeks. They don't," Y/N let out a bitter laugh, "they ship me off to this prison, don't let me come home for breaks, and they call me maybe twice a semester if I'm lucky. They see my grades more than they ever see me."

Meeks was silent for a beat as Y/N cradled their head in their hands.

"Tomorrow night. Meet me outside the East wing at 10PM."