Chapter 3: Camping out

As Nexis, Nixy, and Leon sat on logs that surrounded the campfire, Ruby would stir away at the pot that sat at the center of the fire. Although Nixy had offered to help her sister cook, Ruby was insistent on doing it herself. Assumedly, Nixy thought that her sister felt the need to do it on her own as thanks to this new mysterious man that had saved her, and so she would let her do so.

As Ruby stirred the pot of meat and potato stew, she would grind up some of the herbs that her sister had collected, and threw them into the pot as seasoning.

Ruby: "Alright, it should be done soon. But while we wait, why don't you tell us about yourself Leon? What led you to fight the phoinex?"

He would look over at the newly formed egg within the cage that they brought from the rubble. Phoenix's would form into eggs from the ashes of their remnants, and so this particular bird would be starting its life aknew.

Leon: "I wasn't searching for it or anything. I just so happened to pass into a near by village. The kids mom asked for my help, and so I helped."

Ruby's eyes would light up.

Nexis: "Well that was nice of you at least."

Nixy: "Agreed. Now he's safe and sound with his mother again!"

Ruby: "You're a hero!"

Leon would keep a melancholic expression. He would lean his elbows onto his knees, and shake his head.

Leon: "Nah... I'm just a guy that passed through. But... Uh... Anyways, why don't you guys tell me something about yourselves. What kind of magic do you all use? I know princess over there uses blood magic.

Ruby's face would become a burning red, with steam emanating from her face. She had never been called something so pretty. Most of the time it was four eyes, and her sisters kindness was always appreciated, but something about ✨princess✨ made her heart race.

Ruby: "P-P-Princess??"

Nixy giggles from her sisters reaction.

Nexis: "Id hardly call four eyes, a princess."

Nixy: "Nexis!"

Ruby would quickly grab her shoe, throwing it directly at Nexis's face. Luckily enough, the sharp part of the heel didn't hit him, but it still hurt none the less.

Ruby: "Shut up Nexis!"

Nexis: "Oooouch, hey I was just kidding!"

Nixy: "Ruby, don't be so violent! Both of you apologize."

Ruby would pout a bit, with tears forming in her eyes, as she would get back to finishing the pot of stew.

Nexis: "*Sigh*... I'm sorry for calling you four eyes."

Ruby's cheeks would puff up, and she would turn her head angrily, expressing her refusal to apologize.

Nexis: "Hey that's not fair!! Nixyyyyy, she's not apologiziiiing!!"

Nixy: "*sigh* -_-"

Suddenly Ruby would feel a rubbing sensation on her head. She would look behind herself, to notice that Leon's hand was placed atop it, softly patting.

Leon: "He's your friend isn't he? Just apologize and get it over with."

Ruby: "°\\\w\\\°. IM SORRY NEXIS!!"

Nexis: "Wait! What!?"

Nexis's eyes would squint at the two of them. He seemed confused at how quickly Ruby apologized. She would never do something like that before. Then it clicked.