III

PIPER.

AFTER A MORNING OF STORM SPIRIT'S, goat men, and flying boyfriends, Piper should've been losing her mind. Instead, all she felt was dread.

It's starting, she thought. Just like the dream said.

She stood in back of the chariot with Leo, Y/n, and Jason, while the bald guy, Butch, handled the reins, the pale girl with anger issues, Aneya, mumbled curses underneath her breath, and the blond girl, Annabeth, adjusted a bronze navigation device. They rose over the Grand Canyon and headed east, icy wind ripping straight through Piper's jacket. Behind them, more storm clouds were gathering.

The chariot lurched and bumped. It had no seat belts and the back was wide open, so Piper wondered if Jason would catch her again if she fell. That had been the most disturbing part of the morning—not that Jason could fly, but that he'd held her in his arms and yet didn't know who she was.

All semester she'd worked on a relationship, trying to get Jason to notice her as more than a friend. Finally she'd gotten the big dope to kiss her. The last few weeks had been the best of her life. And then, three nights ago, the dream had ruined everything—that horrible voice, giving her horrible news. She hadn't told anyone about it, not even Jason.

Now she didn't even have him. It was like someone had wiped his memory, and she was stuck in the worst "do over" of all time. She wanted to scream. Jason stood right next to her: those sky blue eyes, close-cropped blond hair, that cute little scar on his upper lip. His face was kind and gentle, but always a little sad. And he just stared at the horizon, not even noticing her.

Y/n sighed lightly to herself, nervously fiddling with the golden heart shaped locket around her neck. "What does this mean?" Piper heard the girl mumble. She gently reached out and laced her fingers through hers, squeezing her hand reassuringly. The gesture made Y/n smile, something that Piper would never grow tired of. Before Jason, there was Y/n.

They had met at the beginning of the semester, when Piper had gotten a bottle of water dumped on her by Isabel and her loser friends. Y/n had tripped them "accidently" before rushing over to see if Piper was alright. She could remember the strange, fluttery, feeling in her stomach the longer Y/n spent running her stupidly gorgeous eyes over Piper's face. She had offered the girl a change of clothes, and introduced herself as her new roommate. How cliche. Piper could remember thinking. Having a crush on your roommate? Such an overrated trope.

But then.. Y/n had introduced Piper to Leo, and she could see the way the boy looked at her. Like she was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. And she could also see the way Y/n looked at him.

It was like there was some... invisible string tying the two together.

And who was she to deny them of each other?

So, she stepped back. She buried her feelings for Y/n deep within her. Even if it kind of hurt to watch her two best friends fall in love with each other, but hey. At least he made Y/n happy.

She was snapped out of her thoughts by Leo being annoying. As per usual. "This is so cool!" He spit a pegasus feather out of his mouth. "Where are we going?"

"A safe place," Annabeth said. "The only safe place for kids like us. Camp Half-Blood."

Piper saw Y/n stiffen slightly at the word, and Piper had a very similar reaction. "Half-blood?" Piper was immediately on guard. She hated that word. She'd been called a half-blood too many times—half Cherokee, half white—and it was never a compliment. "Is that supposed to be some kind of racist joke?" Y/n grit out, her arms crossed over her chest in defense.