ACE.

a ball that is served so well the opponent can't even touch it with their racquet.
-

Nancy sat parallel to a scrawny, disheveled looking girl. something about her was unusually captivating, though.

her features were delicate like a songbird. she was humming the lyrics to a Gerry Rafferty song as she unpacked her items.

from what she could tell, her bag was filled with a bulk of clothing-- she must be attending Miami Beach this year, 'cause nobody needs that much clothing. not even Nancy. alongside that, a pair of headphones and a tennis racquet that belongs to the school.

out of her peripheral vision, she saw the girl pivot rather abruptly. the melody that recycled every few minutes had come to a halt, which is what really caught Nancy's attention.

"Nancy Wheeler?" she spoke, her voice was light with a subtle rasp that was more dulcet than her humming.

she was dressed in her traditional clothing, not a tennis uniform. that alongside her short-cut hair caused her to be tenuosly quirky in comparison to the duplicates of girls surrounding them.

"whose asking?" she responded, a sudden ripple of unease consuming her. why did she know her name?

something in her blue gaze shifted, she flashed a smirk that could've taken Nancy out in that very moment if she wasn't so apprehensive.

she inhaled to recalibrate herself. she needed to be on guard, not letting her defense fail because of some pretty girl.

"i've heard about you."

Nancy's gaze drifted from the blonde, her skin crawling. she continued her breathing exercises, something the headmaster had taught her to maintain her tempermant.

"you have?"

she hesitated; fiddling with the rings that adorned her hands, "i haven't seen the video, i-"

and of course, things came crashing down like a wave on the shore. the familiar feeling of humiliation was practically intertwined into her blood now.

"do you want a gold star, or something?"
she interrupted; features defining back into a frown. she shifted tartly, feeling irked.

"i'm Robin, by the way." she said, then turned back around, continuing to mindlessly rifle through her duffelbag as if their interaction didn't bother her whatsoever.

she started humming again.

Nancy got to her feet, walking off as briskly as humanly possible.

she was not swallowed by the authentic charisma that Robin radiated, warming her harder than the sunlight beating down onto the court where they had been resting, but the ignominy of being reminded about the video.