VITRIOLIC.

feeling alone is a specific type of pain, with distinct recognizable signs to the trained eye.
-

this chapter will switch back to the "i" pronoun, despite robin and nancy interacting.

with immense chagrin, i attempted to start my car again. eventually sinking into the seat with defeat.

i wasn't particularly clever when it came to automotives. the sun casted into my cab, causing me to transform into a sweaty, frantic mess.

"need a ride?" a raspy voice called, a voice i had familiarized myself with far too quickly.

my gaze snapped up to Robin, leaning out of her convertible with a grin.

"will i get a golden star?" she drawled out.

i hesitated, giving one last failing effort to kick my engine on. letting out a drawn out sigh.

"i suppose," with reluctance, i grasped my bag and slunk towards her car.

i paused, admiring the tinted windows and sheen of the exterior. this must have costed a fortune.

"great!" she cheered, shoving her crap into the back.

"what would i do without you?" i murmured under my breath caustically as i slid into the leathery seat.

she squinted; a hint of exasperation laced within her eyes for a brief moment. she readjusted, starting up the older-- but clean nonetheless vehicle. the engine buzzed softly as she pulled out of the campgrounds.

"anyways, you're bricked. my dad works on old cars-- i recognize the sound," she says, her face still drawn back into a smile

"thanks?" i sunk deeper into the seat, feeling my desicion making abilities slip away.

"anytime," she chirped back, her gaze glued onto the highway.

"why are you being so nice to me?" i hissed, my tone dropped an octave.

she bit her lip, her grip on the steering wheel tightened.

"you need to go to Miami Beach campus, right?"

"yes, but--" and i was interrupted before i could get my second whiny sentence out.

"i'm being nice 'cause we're similar. i understand your pain," her voice was gravelly with emotion, but simultaneously so honeylike it made my heart flutter.

"nobody understands my pain," i snorted, sitting more upright to pass a glance to her.

"maybe i don't know exactly how you feel-- but i can assume what i've felt has been similar enough."

curiosity devoured me. i knew it was wrong to want to learn about her.

but alas, i'm a lost cause.

"who hurt you?"

she emitted a drawn-out sigh whilst flexing her hands. yet, her grip loosened and she looked to me for a brief moment.

"my ex-girlfriend," she paused, fidgeting, "it might sound dumb, but we went to summer camp together when we were 13."

i drank in each word she spoke.

"she told everyone that i held her down, assaulted her. which-- i didn't," she stammered.

Robin returned to driving, seemingly lost in thought before i broke the silence that had settled between us.

"that's fucked up," i breathed out, feeling sympathetic for her. just moments ago, i wanted to escape. i couldn't allow myself to feel vulnerable after everything.

"yeah, she goes to Miami Beach."

"can i ask who?" i knew i was prying, but i needed to know. i felt a sense of compassion for Robin, an emotion that felt so far away. i hadn't felt much since the incident with Johnathan. only resentment and despair.

"Vickie Clarke," her voice trembled slightly, but she maintained her composure well.

"that boho lesbian bitch?"

she sideeyed me, the corners of her mouth quirked up. "yeah, that sounds about right."

"i'm sorry i-" i began, my cheeks warming with embarrassment.

she laughed, a laugh that i could listen to until the sun sunk beneath the horizon. the melody filling the car.

"no need to be sorry, Nance. you're spot on."

i studied her face, forgetting to respond for a heartbeat. i felt my heart thrum in my chest, like a warning alarm. a ringing that told me to run, flee from this. flee from the prospect of love, for it would only get in the way of my future.

"are you hungry?" she stretched back into her seat. i had barely acknowledged that we had been pulled to a halt for what now seemed like a very long period of time.

"a little," i mumbled.

"lets go in to get a bite then, i was gonna pull through the drive-through but that," she waved her index finger in a circular motion towards the mass of cars, "is crazy."

and with that, she was already hurrying inside. barely giving me any time, i ended up following her like a lost puppy in my own hometown.

"so you like mexican food?" i asked, my voice dull as we seated ourselves. i stared into her eyes as she searched for a response.

"i hope so," she shuddered.

i giggled, "you've never ate here, have you?"

"nah."

"so," i hummed, changing the topic, "what makes you wanna attend Miami Beach?"

"trust me, i don't. i begged to go anywhere else, but as much as i like to believe im the arbiter of my own social calander-- my parents call the shots," she waved her hands around as she spoke, smiling.