~ Chapter 14 ~

Wooyoung

The first thing I felt when I woke up the next morning was warm, steady breaths on the back of my neck. I smiled to myself, remembering where I was. My smile only grew wider as I became aware of the arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I ran my thumb very gently along the back of Felix's hand and wrist, delighting in the feel of his soft, smooth skin.

I could feel the blonde boy's chest pressed against my back, and I exhaled slowly, melting into him. Right now, I felt like I was encased in a warm cocoon, completely safe and secure, and I wished this moment could last forever.

As I lay there, I let my mind drift back to the events of last night: that amazing kiss, and my regrettable decision to tear myself away, just when things were heating up. I remembered my anguish over my sister, my mouth turning down at the corners briefly, but then my smile returned as I remembered Felix throwing his arms around me and whispering in my ear.

"I'll always be here for you, Woo, no matter what happens. I promise." And then: "I do like you, by the way. I like you a lot."

I felt my cheeks heating up at that memory, and I had the sudden urge to kick my feet like a little kid. I didn't want to wake Felix, though, so I stayed still, squeezing my eyes shut and imagining it instead.

There wasn't anything I could do about my racing heartbeat, though, and perhaps Felix could feel it, even in his sleep. Not long after that, he stirred, tightening his grasp on my waist briefly, then placing a soft kiss on my shoulder.

"'Morning," he murmured against my neck.

I turned around in his hold, unable to suppress the grin that spread across my face. I gazed into Felix's eyes, and whispered, "'Morning." Then, before I could change my mind, I pecked him on the lips.

As soon as I'd done that, I was hit with a wave of shyness, and I pulled back and averted my eyes. I couldn't go far, though, with Felix's arms linked around my back. He grinned back at me and then pecked my lips in return.

After a short but comfortable silence, the freckled boy gently lifted my chin so he could look in my eyes.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked.

I smiled and replied, "Yeah." Then my smile fell, and I continued, "Sorry about last night. I kinda ruined the mood, didn't I?"

I looked at Felix sadly, but the blonde quickly shook his head, saying, "No, no, it's fine, don't worry about that! I completely understand. Of course you're worried about your sister! I would be too..."

Now it was Felix's turn to look sad. "Look, I'm the one that should be apologising, Woo. I still feel really bad about running out on you at the dog café the other day. I just..."

He retracted his arms from around my waist and started fiddling with his fingers in an agitated way.

He sighed deeply. "Ever since my mum died, I've been scared of talking to people, of starting up any kind of relationship - even just a friendship. The very idea of a relationship was enough to send me into jitters, 'cause ... 'cause I didn't want to risk losing someone else that I cared about, like I lost my mum."

I grabbed hold of his hands, holding them in my own between us.

"That's why I ran away. 'Cause I was scared of what might happen if we did any more than just talking at the dog café."

Felix looked up at me with big, sad eyes, reminding me so much of the dogs at the café.

"Lix, it's fine. I understand now. I admit I was very confused to begin with, 'cause I had no idea what was happening, what I'd done wrong to make you run away. But after I spoke to Jisung-"