Chapter 7: Shadows of My Trauma

APHAEA

The next day after the random night out with Ody, it was a hell of a day. Kaya naman after the morning class, I let Javi drag me sa arcade.

It was one of those afternoons that felt like everything was falling into place. Javi and I had decided to hang out at the arcade, para lang mag-relax. School had been overwhelming the past few days, and spending time with Javi was always a good way to unwind. He had this way of making me laugh, especially with his overly dramatic reactions to the simplest things—like claw machines.

"Wooo! Panalo na naman ako!" I shouted as I pulled another plushie out of the claw machine, my hands already full of colorful prizes. Javi was beside me, shaking his head in disbelief as I added yet another stuffed animal to my growing collection. I couldn't help but feel giddy; every time I played, it felt like a small win, especially when it came to claw machines. Para akong may endless options kung anong yayakapin.

"Phae, this is getting ridiculous! Baka magalit na 'yang mga machines na 'yan sa'yo," Javi joked, gesturing to the pile of plushies and keychains I have won. My arms were practically overflowing with soft toys.

Witnessing how much I have won, Javi tried his luck... but there was none.

"Ano ba yan! Sumpa 'tong machine na 'to!" Javi groaned, giving the claw machine a side-eye after losing for the third time. He had been trying to catch a human-sized bear for the past twenty minutes, but no luck.

I chuckled, shaking my head. "Pano ka ba nanalo ng mga "best actor" awards, tapos talo ka sa claw machine?"

"Gaga! Walang connect yun! Also... hindi ka makakalusot dito, Phae. This machine is rigged, I swear!"

"Or maybe you're just bad at it," I teased, nudging him.

Javi gasped dramatically. "Take that back! Akala mo ba madali 'to? It's an art form. May need ka atang computin dito para makuha mo yung tamang angle at moment eh."

"Tarantado ka! Ano 'yan? Statics?," I laughed, stepping up to the machine he was so determined to beat. "Watch and learn, Javi."

"Watch and learn, Javi. Palibhasa ang dami nang nakuha." He said mockingly.

I inserted a few tokens and focused on the bear, watching the claw drop, catch, and—surprise, surprise—actually lift the giant bear. The claw barely shook, and when it dropped the bear into the prize slot, Javi's jaw practically hit the floor.

"No way!" he shouted, pointing at the machine like it had betrayed him. "Phae, paano mo nagawa yun?"

I grinned, pulling the oversized bear out of the slot with a bit of a struggle. "Ako lang 'to, Javi," I said, holding the bear triumphantly.

"Bias 'yang mga machines na 'yan," he pouted, glancing at the small pile of plushies I'd won earlier from other machines. "I swear, with your skills? Hindi ka talaga tao."

We laughed together, the sound of arcade noises filling the air as we drifted from one machine to another. The weight of the week seemed to fall away, replaced with lightness and silliness. I was enjoying the moment, enjoying Javi's company. Everything felt normal.

Until it didn't.

As we made our way to another row of games, I saw a figure out of the corner of my eye. At first, I didn't think much of it—this was a public place after all. But when my gaze landed on the familiar face, my entire body froze.

Jonas.

He was standing near the entrance of the arcade, casually leaning against the wall, his eyes scanning the room. And then they locked onto mine.