Chapter 12: I Won't Let You Win This Time

APHAEA

The soft buzz of my phone broke the silence of the room. It was late afternoon, and I had been working on a project for the student council, trying to focus, trying to shake off the unease that had settled into my chest for the past few days. But that familiar buzz made me freeze. Again.

Tinignan ko ang cellphone ko at unknown number lang ang lumabas.

I hesitated before opening it, my heart hammering against my ribcage. The message preview alone was enough to send chills down my spine. 

"Hindi mo ba ako namiss, Aphaea?"

I swallowed hard, feeling the lump in my throat grow. Each message was worse than the last. He was gaslighting me, making me question myself. Was it really all my fault? Did I overreact back then?

No. I couldn't start thinking that way again.

Ako ang niloko. Hindi ko kasalanan na ako ang niloko. He was the one who cheated. Not me.

With shaky fingers, I opened the message fully, reading through the venomous words Jonas had sent me. 

"You know, if you weren't so obsessed with being perfect, we could've worked out. You pushed me away. It was you, Aphaea. I loved you, and you ruined everything."

I wanted to throw my phone across the room, to scream, to make it all go away. But I couldn't. My throat felt tight, and my hands were cold, almost numb. Kahit saan ako magpunta, andun siya. Para niya akong kinukulong para manatili ako sa kanya. 

"Phae?" Drayton's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. He was sitting on the couch across from me, his sharp eyes instantly noticing the tension in my face. Atlas, Javi, and Lee were also there, lounging in my living room as usual, trying to distract me from the mounting anxiety.

I tried to force a smile, but it felt weak, unconvincing. "Okay lang ako."

Lee gave me a look, raising his eyebrow. "You sure about that? Kasi parang hindi ka okay, Phae."

"Seriously," Javi chimed in, his tone softer than usual. "Kung may problema, sabihin mo lang. We're here for you. Nagtatago ka nanaman."

I bit my lip, my hands tightening around my phone. Should I tell them? Would it make any difference? I didn't want to burden them with my problems, especially not when it came to Jonas. But I also couldn't handle this alone anymore. Sobra sobra na siya. It was so overwhelming.

I let out a shaky breath, placing my phone face down on the table. "Si Jonas."

Silence fell over the room.

Atlas was the first to react, his jaw tightening. Sa isang iglap, nanggigil siya. "What did he do this time?"

I hesitated, my eyes darting to my phone. "He's been... messaging me. Stalking me, maybe? And it's messing with my head. He's trying to make it seem like I'm the one at fault for everything that happened between us. Ako sinisisi niya kung bakit siya nag-cheat."

Drayton, who had been quiet up until now, stood up and walked over to me. His expression was serious, his eyes filled with concern. "Phae, alam mong hindi 'yan totoo, diba? Jonas is toxic. Hell... he's the epitome of red flags. He's always been like that. You didn't ruin anything. He did."

"Alam ko 'yon," I whispered, my voice barely audible. "Pero ang hirap. It's like he knows exactly how to get under my skin. And I... Di ko alam paano siya patitigilin."

Javi crossed his arms, his face hardening. "He's not going to stop until he gets what he wants. We need to do something about this."

Lee nodded, his usual playful demeanor replaced by a more serious one. "Yeah, we can't just sit here and let him mess with your head like this."

Atlas, ever the protective one, stood up from his spot on the couch. "I don't care kung anong gagawin natin, but we need to stop him. Now."

I looked around at my friends, their faces filled with determination and worry. They had always been there for me, but this felt different. This felt like something I couldn't handle alone anymore.

"I don't want you guys getting involved. This is my problem, and I don't want anyone else getting hurt because of me. Kilala ko kayo. Baka mamisikal kayo," I said, though my voice wavered.

"Bullshit," Drayton said flatly. "We're involved whether you like it or not. We care about you, Phae. We're not going to let that psycho get to you. Ikaw ang mapapahamak."

Javi nodded, his expression softening. "But we can't do this alone, either."

There was a pause before Atlas spoke up again, his eyes narrowing slightly as he looked at me. "We should call Ody."

I blinked, surprised. "Ody? Bakit si Ody?"

"Because he's part of this now, whether you admit it or not," Atlas said, his voice steady. "He cares about you, too. And I think he deserves to know what's going on."

For a moment, I didn't know what to say. Ody had been a bright spot in my life lately, pulling me out of the darkness little by little. But I didn't want to drag him into this mess. I didn't want him to see the side of me that was still haunted by Jonas and everything that had happened.

Is this a sign na oras na para malaman niya ang totoo?

"Do you really think it's a good idea?" I asked, my voice hesitant.

"It's not just a good idea. It's the right idea," Lee said firmly. "Jonas is trying to mess with your head. The more people you have supporting you, the better. And Ody... kahit na skeptical kami sa kaniya, he's got your back, Phae. Nakikita namin kung paano ka niya alagaan. I can feel like he would even take a bullet for you. Kaya ikalma mo. Andito kami."

I stared at them for a moment, my heart pounding in my chest. Finally, I nodded. 

Atlas didn't waste any time. He grabbed his phone and dialed Ody's number. I watched him pace the room as the phone rang, my anxiety spiking with each passing second.

Finally, Atlas spoke. "Ody? We need you to come over. Now. It's about Aphaea."

It didn't take long for Ody to arrive. The moment he walked through the door, the tension in the room shifted. He looked around at all of us, his brow furrowed in concern. "Anong nangyari? Ayos lang ba si Phae?"

I stood up, my legs feeling a bit shaky. "My ex has been sending me messages."

"Ex?"

I nodded.

"Sinong ex?"

"Si Jonas. He was the reason why I collapsed in panic back at the arcase, remember? Now he's bombarding me. I'm trying to keep my cool. Hindi ko nalang dapat papansinin. Kaso hindi siya tumitigil."

Ody's expression darkened, his hands clenching into fists. "Gago 'yun ah."

Before I could say anything, Ody walked over to me, his presence immediately making me feel safer. "Phae, I'm not going to let him get to you. We'll figure this out together, okay? He's not going to win. Sa pangit niyang 'yun? Itsura palang talo ko na siya. Paano pa kaya kung kami na ang lumaban. Edi taob 'yun."

The way he said it, so sure and so determined, made my chest tighten. Kahit may halong kalokohan ang mga pinagsasabi niya, alam kong willing siya na protektahan ako. I had spent so long trying to deal with this on my own, trying to be strong. But standing there, with Ody and my friends all around me, I realized I didn't have to fight this battle alone anymore.

"I just... I don't want him to ruin things," I whispered, my voice breaking slightly. "I don't want him to ruin us-- I mean..."

Ody reached out and gently cupped my face, his thumb brushing against my cheek. "He won't. He's got no power here, Phae. Not anymore. And about our label... Alam kong hindi ka pa handa. But let's say that we are each other's... most important person."

I nodded.

For the first time in what felt like days, I let out a breath I didn't realize I had been holding. Maybe, just maybe, with Ody and my friends by my side, mapapakawalan ko na ang sarili ko sa trauma, takot, at pangamba.

Jonas, I won't let you win this time.