Chapter 21: Double Date Realization

Ruffiano's was known for the best handmade pasta in the neighborhood. It was also an adorable little place just outside the theater district, with about twelve tables with white tablecloths, a small bar, and aromas from the kitchen that could send a girl to church. Jennie used all of these details to distract her from the awkward feelings that descended on her the minute she arrived with Sofia to find Roseanne seated at the table alone, a customary glass of red wine in front of her. She waved as they approached and blossomed into a beautiful smile that took over the room. Jennie felt the blush infuse her face.

She swallowed and smiled over at Sofia, giving her hand a squeeze. This was their fourth date, and things between them were progressing at an appropriate pace. Two good night kisses, one a little longer than the other. They'd passed a handful of texts between dates. Friendly and flirty in the right combination. Sofia was proving to be a really nice woman.

But she wasn't Roseanne.

Underneath it all, Jennie knew that was the headline in her heart. And it was a problem.

With every day that passed, it became more and more apparent to Jennie that no one would ever be Roseanne. Instead, whoever she was with would live forever in the shadow of the woman Jennie had, somewhere along the way, fallen in love with. She had to find a way to get her feelings in order and on the shelf. Roseanne was happy with Helen, and Jennie had been offered every opportunity to tell Roseanne how she felt. That ship had sailed.

"I hope you don't mind that I started early." Roseanne gestured to the wine and stood as they approached. She focused on Sofia first. "Hi. Roseanne Park. Really nice to meet you. Jennie says great things."

Sofia accepted Roseanne's hand and gave it a hearty shake. Points for enthusiasm. She had her dark hair pulled back in a low ponytail and wore a green military jacket with black jeans and a braided bracelet. "Sofia Murphy. I've heard all about you, too."

Roseanne looked down at their hands with wide eyes. "You have a good grip, Sofia Murphy. Impressive." She shifted her focus and softened. Jennie's heart squeezed at the change. Dammit. "Hi, Jennie," she said, leaned in, and kissed her cheek. "You look great." The soft scent of her lotion enveloped Jennie and whisked her to memories far tucked away.

"Hi. You, too." Roseanne wore a red jersey dress, both chic and soft. "I'm happy we're doing this," Jennie said. "Helen's coming, right?"

"Yes, but you see, there was a sample sale that led to some sort of private reception, and Helen has trouble saying no to those."

Helen was sure dialed into the elite New York social scene. Jennie had seen as much for herself. Helen chased parties and always glowed when she scored an invitation. Quite the contrast to Roseanne, who was happy at home with good company. Maybe Helen brought out her extrovert side. Quietly, Jennie wasn't sure she liked anyone changing Roseanne. "Well, if she can't make it, we'll have to do this again," Sofia said. Jennie smiled at her.

"Sofia, are you a big fan of wine and coffee?"

Sofia laughed and leaned to the side. "I do enjoy a good glass of wine, but coffee is kind of my least favorite beverage." She passed Jennie a look. "I've already let Jennie know, so she can ignore my calls if she chooses."

"It is her life's work," Roseanne said with an added wince.

Hmm. Defensiveness flared and Jennie patted Sofia's hand. "We forgive them for what they don't know they're missing out on, right?"

"If you say so." Roseanne sipped her wine. That comment was not like her. Jennie let it go, and they spent the next few moments perusing the menu and hearing about the specials from their server, Aldo.

"What about a bottle of pinot grigio?" Sofia asked, eyes on the menu.

"Jennie likes merlot," Roseanne said evenly.

"Oh." Sofia's gaze shot up. "We can certainly have merlot."

"Actually, I'd prefer white tonight," Jennie said, her eyes never leaving Roseanne's. She tried to shoot daggers. She wasn't sure if it was working. What was Roseanne trying to do with these subtle comments? Why did she have to wear that jersey dress that showed off her amazing arms?

"Great. Pinot grigio it is." Sofia looked from Jennie to Roseanne. "Roseanne, you're welcome to join us."

"I'm good. I'll stick with red," Roseanne said with an overly friendly smile. She then looked to Jennie as if to say See, I can be super nice.