Chapter 19: Never Better

Roseanne had been up since two in the morning. She wasn't sure why. All was right with the world, and she should be sleeping like a baby. Helen had stayed over but would be getting up soon to teach a class at the School of Ballet. With her favorite tan silk robe around her, Roseanne looked out at the city slowly waking, the pink and orange of the sun making their first appearance. She hugged herself at the warm glow emerging from behind a tall building in the distance.

Exhausted from very little sleep, but with a soft smile to greet the day, she turned back to the bed. Helen slept peacefully on her stomach, sheet pulled to her waist. Tranquil and calm. They were good together, she told herself. They laughed, got competitive when it came to the best method to pop popcorn, and never seemed to get on each other's nerves. She had an interesting job and a kind heart. Roseanne was blessed. She didn't let herself examine the section of her heart that hadn't joined the party. She'd get there with a little time. But overall, she was happy, content, and very much looking forward to more. They usually stayed at her place, so her once cold and lonely apartment was now alive with banter in the morning and soft touches at night. She really could get used to this.

"Morning," Helen said, bleary-eyed. "Are you watching me sleep?"

Roseanne let her crossed arms fall. She moved to the bed and sat alongside Helen. "Yes. You were saying the wildest stuff. A double agent in charge of celery auctions. Is there a secret life we should talk about?" Roseanne asked with a stern expression.

Helen rolled onto her back with a soft laugh. "Celery auctions? You're creative this morning. Time?"

"A little after six."

"I gotta get going. Full schedule of classes. I have that thing tonight, too."

"What thing?"

"The donor thing. Did I not tell you?"

She watched Helen grab her overnight bag and head into the bathroom. Maybe they should talk about a drawer for her sometime soon. It seemed like a big step, but at the same time, it was spring, and they'd been dating several months. "No. I don't think you mentioned it."

"Mason Park's campaign. I'm on their donor list and guessing they want more."

Roseanne went still. Took a moment to steady herself. "I didn't know you were into politics."

Helen came back in the room wearing one of Roseanne's robes, the shower heating up behind her. "Social issues matter to me, and I want to see the right candidate in office." She shrugged. "Plus, there's an amazing amount of good champagne at those events. Who'd say no? Wanna come?"

Roseanne didn't hesitate. "No. I need some downtime. Is that okay?"

"Of course. I'll take Audrey. I think she has the night off from that experimental piece with the strobe lights. I don't know how she doesn't come home with a headache."

She'd met Helen's best friend briefly. Bubbly and fun. Another dancer. Maybe Audrey would donate to Mason's campaign as well. She should say something. This was the perfect opening. With a nervous stomach, she turned. "Do you think we could talk about something kind of important?"

Helen's eyes went wide. "Now?" She glanced at the shower.

"I know. I can be quick, but it's going to bother me if I don't get it out."

"Tell me while I shower?" Helen didn't wait for a response and instead stepped inside beneath the water. Roseanne closed her eyes, wishing Helen had given her a moment. Didn't matter. She'd learned her lesson about holding back information years ago and would not make the same mistake again. Ever.

"Here's the thing about Mason Park. He—"

"I did catch he has your same last name. Now my brain's in overdrive. Don't you dare tell me he's your long-lost relative." She added a laugh.

"No. He is."

Helen poked her head around the corner of the shower wall. "Stop. Are you kidding me?"

"He's my father."

Helen's eyes went wide. "Why in the world wouldn't you have said so? This is awesome."

"Not exactly. We don't speak. We've never had a relationship."

"I can't believe that. You're in the same city."

"I know." Roseanne swallowed, uncomfortable, but knowing this was an important conversation. She hadn't planned on getting into Mason, but given the fundraiser, it was the right move.

"Come with me tonight. We can change the narrative." Helen popped back into the shower with an amazed look on her face. "I'm literally flabbergasted to hear that he's your dad. I mean, Mason Park. He's got a lot of great ideas about how to get this state back on track. I love his calm demeanor, as well. Never gets riled up when the other side stoops low."

Roseanne blinked. Helen had skated past her feelings. She could tell it wasn't overt. In all honesty, she was probably still processing. But underneath it all, Roseanne wished Helen had paid at least a little bit of attention to how this whole thing affected her. A contrast from the support she'd felt from Jennie.

"If it's okay with you, I think I'm still going to skip the fundraiser."

"I don't have to go either," Helen said. That was something, at least.

"You don't have to miss it on my account." Secretly, though, she hoped Helen would.

"Yeah? Because personal feelings aside, I think he can make a real difference. He's pushing some fantastic programs for the arts. We need him."

"Totally understand," Roseanne said, swallowing the disappointment. Helen was a good person who cared about her. She didn't need to let this difference in perspective affect their relationship. Politics mattered to Helen more than she'd anticipated, perhaps.

"Wait," Jennie said the next day when Roseanne swung by Too after work. She'd stayed a little late for a West Coast meeting, which meant they were well into wine bar hours when she arrived. She scanned the space, amazed at the number of red wine and hot doughnut pairings. People were really taking to the combo, which she understood entirely as she bit into a warm cinnamon sugar. "What do you mean she went to the fundraising event? After you told her he was your absent asshole father, she still went?"

"She already had the invite and was so excited. I think her friend Audrey was going as well, so there was a social component."

"Did you tell her about the letter you wrote and how it came back? Or the way he treated your mom?"

"No."

Jennie paused mid-bottle open. "Roseanne." Her voice was quiet. "This thing with Mason is a big deal for you, and she needs to honor that. Loyalty is a real and true thing." She poured the glass of merlot and delivered it to the waiting table by the window, brightening as she went.

Roseanne watched her progress and the warmth that radiated off her as she interacted with the customer. Jennie had recently cut a couple of inches off her hair. It just brushed her shoulders now. Roseanne loved the new look. Plus, she felt better after just talking to Jennie about the fundraiser scenario, which of course she knew would be the case. It always was. Jennie just seemed to understand so much about Roseanne and what she needed. It was nice to feel truly seen by another person. "I hear you, and if the opportunity presents itself, I'll tell her how it made me feel," she said when Jennie returned.

"I want more than that for you. Do you want me to talk to her?" There was a fire behind those blue eyes. "I will have no problem explaining how her actions could affect you."

Roseanne laughed. "No. Absolutely not. The day my friends have to communicate to my girlfriend on my behalf would be a sad one. I can do it."

"If you say so. I know Helen means well, but this was not cool."

"I'll handle it. You've given me the kick in the ass I needed."

Jennie nodded, the fire dimming. "Girlfriend, huh? I knew you two were official, but this is the first time I've heard you use the word. It's a big step."

Shehad to agree, but that's what Helen was. "I know. I haven't had an actualgirlfriend in a long time. It feels really nice, aside from the hiccups, whichI imagine are to be expected."

Jennie nodded. "You two are good together. I mean that."

"It's not weird for you, given our..." She trailed off onpurpose and raised an exaggerated brow. "You know."

Jennie laughed. "Maybe for the first five minutes." Shegrabbed a rag and sprayed down the counters. "But now you're just Roseanne andHelen. It looks good on you."

"Thank you. What about your love life? Anything on thehorizon?"

She paused and looked up. "I have a date on Thursday."

Roseanne finished her sip of wine. "Well, well." There was atime when that news would have slashed her in half. But she'd worked extra hardto head off romantic thoughts about Jennie and appreciated the other aspects oftheir relationship. "Who is this woman?"

"Another setup. Marjorie swears she's met the perfect womanfor me, so she brought her into the bar, and it turns out she's really prettyand sweet. So, we're going to a Broadway play together. A comedy about a playgoing wrong."

Roseanne gasped. "Jealous! I want to see that one."

Jennie winked. "I'll let you know if it's any good."

"Look at us. Such adults." Roseanne raised her glass and tooka sip.

"Right? Who'd have thought?" Jennie said with a shake of herhead. A pause. "If this goes well, maybe we could all get together sometime. Adouble date."

"Hmm. Interesting idea." Roseanne refused to let her mindimagine that scenario in its entirety, but she'd work on warming up to theidea. The mature thing to do. Plus, Jennie apparently thought it would be greatto go on a double date. With other people. The implication hit with a dullthud. Jennie was so far over them it was ridiculous. Why was Roseanne holdingon to this tiny thread of hope? No more. She set her glass down on the counterand straightened. "Yeah, okay. I think we'd love that. Helen and I." Jennie'ssuggestion was the last little nudge Roseanne needed to let go once and forall. She'd give a hundred and fifty percent effort in her relationship withHelen. Whatever small part of her had been clinging to the hope that there wasa one day for her and Jennie snapped in half. Nothing holding her back now.

"Well, let me get through Thursday night first."

"Not a problem," Roseanne said, eyes on the window. Sheneeded some air.

She felt Jennie's gaze on her. "You okay?"

"Never better."