Chapter 18: Marriage is A Mission

"Five, four, three, two, one! Happy New Year!" Roseanne called, champagne glass in the air. She hugged Simi, who had invited her to the New Year's party, and waited for Jennie to finish her jumping-in-the-air hug with Clarissa before claiming one for herself.

"It's going to be a fantastic year," she whispered in Jennie's ear. "Just you wait."

"It already is," Jennie said back and kissed her cheek. "Two cafés, a new dog brother, and some really amazing friends. I'm blessed."

Roseanne pulled back, thoughtful. "Me, too. But only one bar and no dog brother, but I got a new doorman who offers me chocolate when I get home, so I'm equally blessed."

"I keep waiting for my doorman to materialize. Pretty sure his name is Gerard and he has appeared in multiple cologne ads. He's going to report to work any day now."

Roseanne laughed. "I will hope you get your New Year's wish."

Jennie fisted a handful of Roseanne's sweater. "I knew I could count on you. Now, I need to go find a giant brownie and consume it without help."

It had been a fun evening at Simi and Abel's apartment. About twenty of them had gathered around in the living room as the time had neared midnight, keeping things to a decent sound level since their one-year-old was passed out in her crib down the hall. Roseanne was three glasses in and feeling grateful for the year behind her, and hopeful for the one ahead. She'd been on a handful of dates with Helen, who was currently in London for a long-planned family vacation. She had Jennie, who made every day better, her job, which she'd been able to turn into a truly rewarding position, and Courtney, who offered her a family tether.

Abel arrived next to her as Jennie departed. It was nice to see the guy again. It had been a while since they'd gotten together. She remembered fondly how it had been his engagement party with Simi where she'd first encountered Jennie outside of the bar. She owed him for that. He stared at her. Hard.

"What is that look?"

He leaned in. "So, you and Jennie. Are you a thing?" he asked in a quiet voice.

"No. Why?"

"Just a vibe Simi picked up on. She said there's chemistry there and sent me on a mission to find out. It's part of being married. You get sent on missions. Yesterday, it was to find rosemary scented soap. A bar. Not the liquid form. Today, it's about the love lives of two of our party guests."

"Marriage is missions. Who knew?"

He shook his head and passed her a rueful look. "You have no idea."

"Good to know. I'll file that away." She touched her temple. "But I am seeing someone, and it's not Jennie."

"Whatever you tell me, I'm going to have to tell Simi." His eyes went wide with warning. "Gossip is her currency."

"Understood, and thank you for the heads-up. Simi is welcome to intel on my very mundane life."

He narrowed his gaze. "You're a Livingston. There's nothing boring about you to us. We chat about diaper counts and drooling bibs."

She laughed. "Got it. Well, her name is Helen, and this is our second time giving things a shot. A few dates in and so far, so good." She gave her phone a little shake. "She actually woke up early in London so she could send me a Happy New Year text."

"That's fucking romantic. Not a drool cloth mentioned." He smiled to let her know he was kidding. She was well aware of the fact that Abel loved his wife and daughter beyond all measure. His sense of humor, however, remained intact. She was glad for it.

"I want that, too, you know. The family. The middle of the night feedings. All of it."

He nodded. "I wasn't sure you did. You seem so happy."

She nodded. "I tend to do that. Everyone always thinks everything's wonderful in my world. That makes sense. It's what I put out."

"You should have been in PR like Simi."

They clinked glasses. "Missed opportunity."

"I see the snacks could use refilling, and my wife is shooting me a look with about seventy-five different meanings."

What Abel had alluded to tracked. She put on a brave face more often than she probably should. It was something she wanted to work on, however. She didn't have to seem okay all the time. In fact, in the coming year, Roseanne wanted to make sure that she didn't sacrifice calm waters for authenticity. The next time someone asked how she was, maybe she'd just answer plainly, and say that she felt a little lonely these days, but things were looking up. She saw what Abel and Simi and millions just like them had and experienced a burst of envy. She wanted a partner and a family, people to come home to, a life bigger than the one she was currently leading. She stared across the room at a beautiful brunette in the midst of a conversation with her best friend, giant brownie in hand, and smothered the shot of longing that descended like clockwork. She smiled down at her phone, at the text message from Helen with the blowing-a-kiss emoji.

Life was waiting for her, and it was time she stopped dragging her feet. I can't wait until you're home, she typed back. Hurry.

*