09 - Reality From Dreams

Chapter 9: Reality From Dreams

Ivan:

The suns rays had just peeked into sight when I woke everyone up. “We need to get going.”

Sienna sat up so suddenly that loose strands fell out of her ponytail, fluttering down around her face. “Did I sleep through the whole night?” she gasped.

I barely nodded. “I couldn’t sleep, anyway. So don’t worry.” I had been up all night thinking of the promises we had made to each other and also when she had saved me from District 8.

The way Elenie had taken charge so quickly... sending a message to the careers that she was indeed a threat & needed to be taken down quickly.

I still wanted her to win.

Ember-Marie yawned, rubbing her eyes. “Where are we meeting Elenie?”

“I don’t know,” I whispered, pausing in my packing. “But we have to keep running. We’ll meet her soon enough.”

“What?” Sienna’s eyes widened. “She could be dead!”

“She isn’t dead. Neither are the twins,” I replied calmly, though inside my stomach twisted. “At night the sky shows who died. Only 5 died in the bloodbath. None of which was Elenie or the twins.”

“That’s why I dreamt of the Capitol anthem,” Ember-Marie breathed. “So, is the plan to keep running?”

“As far as I know, yes. So far we’ve only been running for, I estimate, 4 hours. Elenie instructed me to go this way anyway, so this way it is.”

“Fine,” Sienna reluctantly agreed. “I just hope we meet up with the twins and Elenie soon.”

“So do I,” I whispered to myself, though the whole of Panem heard.

Elenie:

“Where are we?” Marinie wondered aloud.

We’re all keeping a slow pace now, back into the mist. Marinie is actually walking, too, though she limps.

“No idea,” Tosh murmured. “But this mist is starting to creep me out.”

“It crept me out long ago, brother.”

“Try to be quiet,” I whispered. “I saw 3 other Tributes head into the mist as well as us.”

A canon made the 3 of us jump.

“Who?” Tosh asked, suddenly on edge. He hurried forward a few steps so that he was exactly beside me. His hand slid into my own.

I stared at his hand for a few seconds, then looked to him. “I was too busy to pay attention. But I could easily make out Xinvy Bird.”

“She got an 8 on the scores.” Marinie’s hand slid into mine, just like Tosh’s. “We saw her while she was training. She’s best with knives.”

“She loves knives,” Tosh agreed absent-mindedly.

“And what are you two good with, then?” I asked.

Both of them looked up at me at the same time, and shrugged. It was Marinie who answered. “We aren’t good at anything. We didn’t have the aim for spears, we didn’t have the strength for bows, we were afraid of the sharp knives... the list goes on and on. We’re hopeless.”