Chapter 10

Kiora,

As I’m in the car and we’re about to pull off I look out of the window at the place I grew up in, the place I was sad in, and the place I wished I never lived in. It was a good house, but not good memories. I'm just hoping it all gets put behind me, I hope I never meet someone else like how my stepdad was. I’m sitting in the back seat, the door to the car opens and I’m forced to scoot over into the middle by Noah and Eli. My biological father Adrien and my other brother Oliver are in the front. 

I just grab my phone out of my pocket to distract myself, so I don’t think about anything. I don’t think I’ve processed anything, I’m just moving my body, without thinking. Now I'm stuck in a car with two shoulders keeping me in place so I can't move. “So Kiora, when we get there I'll show you your room and Oliver and Eli will carry your boxes up to it,” Adrien says. I nod taking that in. I open my mouth to talk, but I close it, choosing not to say anything. I have a question though. How in the world do I have a room already?

___________

We drive into a neighborhood, that’s a few streets down from Ahmed’s because I saw his house as we passed. All the houses on this street are massive, when we pull into a driveway, the house in front of us is like a manor. My mouth falls open at least an inch. So they’re rich rich. Would that mean I’m rich now? No clue.

I get out of the car out of Eli's side because he’s on my right and to my brain that made the most sense. I just stare at the house when I’m outside mainly because I don’t know what else to do, so I just stare at it, before I hear a voice beside me “You wanna see your room?” I look over at Noah “I thought-” He cuts me off “Yeah, well we can sneak in and while I say sneak in I mean we can just walk in, but if you want to wait we can wait,” I nod “I’d prefer that”, he nods back. While we wait for Adrien, my father to get off a phone call both Eli and Oliver bring my boxes inside. I don’t know what to call him, do I call him Father, Dad, or Adrien? I mean it’s just awkward to me and I don’t know what to do. 

Eventually, he gets off his phone call and calls me over to him while he is walking inside. “Follow me upstairs and I’ll show you your room, then we can go over rules and talk about other stuff we need to discuss.” What other things do we need to discuss? That's scary, but I follow him anyway. He leads the way and I follow as I’m taking in the inside of the house. It’s gorgeous, there's a chandelier hanging above the stairs. 

Once we were upstairs he took a left went down a hallway then took a right. Where there is a ton of rooms. He then walks to the end of the hallway and opens the last door in the hallway. When we walk in, the room is massive. It’s not decorated so the white walls are bare and there's a bed in the middle of the room pushed up against the wall. I see another door in my room, I’m curious as to what it is, but I don’t look. As I finish looking around I don’t see a dresser or anything for my clothes. That must be what the door is for. 

When we fully walk in I see a vanity in a little section of my room, but then I see another door. I have two doors in my room “Have a look around I’ll be up in around five minutes so we can discuss rules and other important things,” I nod. I can do that for sure, I mean I have a lot to look at in here, and although it might be bare there's still a lot to look at. 

Once he leaves I immediately go over to one of the doors. I open it to see a closet, I have my walk-in closet. I don’t even know what I’m going to do with all of that space I don’t own that many clothes. After I look in my new closet I go to the second door to find a bathroom. I almost jumped in excitement, then I almost jumped again when I saw all of the new products left on the sink. There were five different brands of body wash, shampoo, and conditioner. I feel like a child when they get a whole bunch of new toys on Christmas, that child was not me on Christmas day though.

Around five minutes went by and I was plopped down on my bed and then I heard my father's voice. “I’m glad you are settling in well, but sadly I have some rules,” he says as I prop myself up on my bed so I’m sitting to let him know I’m listening. “Here we go I only have one rule, we, myself and your brothers, must know where you are at all times, now you might be like ‘What else do you have to talk about?’ well I was on the phone earlier so I could get you this,” he says and hands me a card. A black card. “I thought you might want to decorate or get more clothes, your brother Noah told me you didn’t have that much when you went in there, he also told me that you had a bunch of books, so if you want to buy books go ahead buy as you wish, but remember I can shut that card down before you can even say the word books.” My mouth was open again, it was beginning to become a habit, a bad habit. I swallow before speaking “Ok, thank you, I mean you don’t have to do this at all, so thank you, I’ll um- I’ll be sure to follow the rule”. 

He soon leaves and that leave’s me alone to my thoughts, I stand in the middle of my room. It was the second day of going to a new school, my parents are dead, I wasn’t crying. Why wasn’t I crying, my mom just died and I’m standing in the middle of a new room, numb. I feel numb, I can’t cry, all of my emotions are gone. I decide to hop in the shower.

I get out of the shower and put on some boxers that I have and a baggy T-shirt, I wait till my hair is damp because I’m too impatient, then I lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling, but after enduring a long and tiresome day, I finally succumbed to exhaustion and fell into a deep slumber, completely unconscious of the world around me.

_____________

D

on't forget to vote!!