Chapter 10

I sat on a small chair in my hotel room with my knees to my chest. A large blanket wrapped itself around me providing the only comfort I could attain. The room took on a warm, yellow glow from a single lamp. I had turned on the television to play some music but had later turned it down because my current state wanted peace and quiet. And a hot chocolate. But most of all, I wanted a hug. I wanted to be comforted and loved.

I stared at the same spot on the floor for what felt like hours. I watched a little fuzz dance it's way across the floor. The air conditioner blew on it causing it to twirl and lift up slightly.

There was a soft rapping on my door that slightly startled me. I took my time emerging from the large blanket and shuffling across the wood floor. My fingers curled around the door handle slowly and finally I pulled the door open to find the only comfort provided for thousands of miles. In his hands he held a steaming cup.

"Hot chocolate." He spoke tentatively. Suddenly tears streamed down my face. They ran down quickly and fell to the floor. Quentin's face snapped into one of worry and concern. He took my hand and walked me away from the doorway. The hot chocolate was placed on a small table. Quentin, still holding my hand, walked to the bed and sat down. Without his permission I curled up on his lap and laid my head on his shoulder. He rubbed my arm comfortingly and then just held me close. "You're okay, Blaike. I'm here for you." The words were spoken warmer than any blanket.

We stayed in the same position even after the tears had stopped and the hot chocolate had stopped steaming.

"I don't know anything about you."

Those were the first words spoken between us and they were ear splitting compared to the quiet music playing in the background. At his voice I sat up and positioned myself into a more comfortable position in the middle of the plush bed. I sank a little into the comforter.

"You know enough." I responded shortly.

"Maybe, but I want to know who Blaike is really."

"Why?" I was genuinely curious; here I was with one of the world's prized icons in young fashion, a fashion Prince. I still found it odd that Quentin wanted to travel the world with a random girl he met in a random school.

"I want to know my travel buddy!" He seemed light hearted about it all, but deep down I sensed that he was genuinely curious. For what reason I knew not.

"There's not much to know," I said vaguely. I wasn't comfortable opening up to him just quite yet.

"I don't believe that; there has to be something." He tried to look in my eyes but I just tilted my head closer to the ground to avoid his stare.

"Not yet, Quentin! Just drop it please!" My sudden change in tone caused Quentin to jump a little bit and draw back. I could see the evident hurt in his eyes for which I immediately felt remorse. "I'm sorry, that was uncalled for. You just seem like the type of person who has everything together, and here I sit with my hands trying to hold onto my life; I'm in a different hemisphere of the world with opposite seasons, away from my family where my mom thinks I'm with my dad, but instead I'm traveling the world with a complete stranger!" I hadn't stopped to take a breath during my whole monologue so when I finished I was suddenly out of breath. I panted heavily, finally calm.

I looked up at Quentin to see his gaze had shifted from hurt to understanding. "Lets get you to sleep," he spoke in a gentle, warm voice, coaxing me into the soft sheets.

I unfolded myself from the blanket I was wearing and worked my way into the covers. Quentin walked over to the side of the bed I was in and leaned over to kiss me on the forehead.

"Goodnight, Blaike." Quentin walked away and turned off the light, but only after looking towards me again and in his eyes I could see something different. The beginning of a friendship.