On the run

Max could hear his own heart beating, and his breath was as clear as a lion's roar. Only darkness was ahead, and with nowhere else to run, it was where Max had to go.

One wrong turn could be the decision between life and death for Max, and with no equipment but his favourite book from home, and a golf club without its head, Max couldn't brave it.

How was Max going to get out of this: an army of robots that want to control him, and they're all nearby. If one was around, then more were probably on their way.

Max was bolting down a passageway to get away from the two robots behind him. Suddenly, Max came to a screeching halt at a dead end. There was one thing the 12 year old had remembered from a class, once, that robots are computers. The head is the computer, the rest is like muscles, so if Max could just get their heads off, the robots wouldn't work.

The robot wouldn't work, but neither would the plan. Determined, Max whacked the head with the golf club, but nothing happened, except a lot of pain. The head stayed as stiff as a brick wall. His arms flopped, as useless as a piece of paper.

The robots were made of metal, and most of their circuits were covered up, all but one area: the bend at the knee.

Max hurled himself at the robot's leg as it was stepping. The sweaty boy pulled the leg up at the bend and only just poked the golf club into the exposed wires. As the robot took its next, and last, step, it tripped over. Then, exactly what Max was trying to do happened, the head rolled over and landed at Max's feet. The mouth started opening and closing, as sparks of electricity flew out. It was malfunctioning.

Max had taken down one evil scrap, now he had another one to face. The brainwashing robot was edging nearer and nearer, as Max was edging nearer and nearer to the wall. He yanked the stick out the disassembled robot, swung it around his head and jabbed the pile of junk in the eye, which then dropped out, dangling by two wires. Kicking the metal idiot seemed to work for Max, therefore, he tried it a few times, and metal-head landed face first on the path.

There was only one thing for Max to do now: keep avoiding robots or any other dangers. Max desperately needed more defence, and he knew where to get it from.

The exhausted boy crashed down the door to the toy store and started looking around. The aisle he was looking for was at the far end of the store: weapons. Max picked up a Krazy Gun, a water gun and a Lite Laser.

Sneakily, Max crept out of the store, looking around for robots. None in sight. He slowly made his way to the corner of the street and peered around. Just out of the corner of his eye, Max sighted smoke rising behind a building. Was it another survivor, or a deadly robot?

The armed survivor smashed down, yet another door and spied out robots with a great, enormous fire. Max knew exactly what was on the fire, with one glance. Books! Heaps of books. One of Max's favourite pastimes. Now being burnt. He couldn't let this happen.

There were about a dozen brainless, brainwashing idiots out there, but books were the only thing Max had left, his family had been taken, his home had been destroyed, Max only had the books.

The furious boy charged out the window, splattered each metal junk with a water gun and watched most of the robots drop to the floor. Three were still standing. Though, Max didn't want to defeat the mechanical scraps, he wanted to save the books. Without thinking, the now raging boy barged through the remaining robots and soaked the surviving flames with the water gun then stamped on the ashes. One particular book looked very familiar, it was the one Max's mum and dad used to read to him, Johnathon McDean has some fun! Max remembered that one, it was his! These weren't just any books, these were all the books from Max's house! Now Max was turning red and looked like he was about to explode. Also, it wasn't just books, it was just about every item from the Mortin family! Max found his old school backpack and slung it over his shoulder, after stacking it with his favourite books, and a picture of the family, which made Max's eyes produce tears.

Max had no time to think about his family, because three robots wanting to kill him, were right behind Max. He had forgot about that. Violently, the fierce boy threw all his strength at the cruel, heartless robots. They had taken everything from him, he had nothing left, just a tatty old bag, and books that they had tried to disintegrate. After that, Max just dropped to his knees and howled, the robots would find him, but what was the point in fighting, he was fighting for nothing. He just looked back at how he got into this mess.