Safety

In the New Mexico desert Oppenheimer, Llyod and Harrison were all sitting on some rocks staring out at the vast desert that was almost devoid of any life except for certain trees, shrubs and other plants that could survive the harsh climate. Harrison gazed up at the clear blue sky longingly wishing he could be up there again. Oppenheimer noticed this and got up off the rock he was sitting on wandered over to Harrison and stood beside him.

"You want to be up there again don't you," Oppenheimer said.

"Yes, it gives me a feeling of freedom," Harrison replied.

"I understand what you mean. We all have our ways of finding that feeling.
"For you, it's flying.
"For me, it's being out here in the desert away from the big city,"

"I don't like being in the city either. It's far too crowded for my liking,"

"Where do you come from?"

"California. But I moved to Texas a few years ago. You sound like you are from New York,"

"Yes, I am. But I haven't been there in a long time,"

Oppenheimer continued to stare out at the vast horizon and he saw a forest and a large mountain range that spread across the horizon. Oppenheimer raised his hand and pointed to a building in the distance. Lloyd walked over and stood beside Oppenheimer and gazed out at what Oppenheimer was pointing at. Harrison also looked at what Oppenheimer was pointing at.

"That is where we are going. We should hopefully make it there before nightfall,"

"Will we be safe there Oppie?"

"We should be safe there it's in the middle of nowhere and only a small few people know about it,"

"Would Klaus Fuchs know about it Oppie?"

"He doesn't know about it. Besides I doubt that he survived that explosion at the laboratory," He replied as he lowered his hand down to his side. "I suggest that we start moving again if we are to reach the ranch by nightfall."

Oppenheimer, Llyod and Harrison all started walking in the direction of the ranch.

***

At the Los Alamos laboratory, Klaus Fuchs was gazing out at the town which was still full of Soviet soldiers who were continuing to ransack houses and shops. A sharp pain suddenly shot through Klaus' skull causing him to quietly wince out of pain. Placing his hand in one of his trouser pockets he wrapped it around a small glass jar that felt cold in his hand.

Pulling the jar out of his pocket he took the cap off and allowed one of the many small white tablets to fall into his hand. Putting the tablet into his mouth he swallowed it dry the foul taste of the medication still lingered in his mouth even after swallowing it. Screwing the cap back onto the jar Klaus put the jar back into his pocket. Klaus eventually heard footsteps behind him and he also felt a firm hand being placed on his shoulder.

"Are you alright comrade Fuchs?" General Volkov asked.

"I could be better General. Just wish that these damn headaches would stop," Klaus replied with annoyance.

"Well, you were buried under a bunch of rubble. You also were probably hit on the head quite hard,"

"I also can't believe that Oppenheimer and his annoying assistant left me here to possibly die!"

"They see you as a traitor comrade,"

"Where are they anyway?"

"We don't know yet. But I suspect that they will be heading to the nearest city to find shelter and supplies. I also suggest that you take care of yourself, comrade Fuchs you need to rest,"