Assassination Attempt

TW: Mentions of Suicide and Attempted Suicide.

In Emden Wilhelm Hartmann slowly opened his eyes and noticed the faint glow of sunlight shining on the curtains. Getting out of bed he wandered over to the curtains and pulled them open allowing the sunlight to fill the room with a soft warm glow. Walking back over to the bed he sat down on it the springs creaking slightly under his weight. Grabbing his black boots he placed them on his feet and carefully tied the laces into a knot. Getting off the bed he strolled over to the door and opened it the sound of it creaking echoed throughout the hallway. Once Wilhelm reached the kitchen area he saw Clara and Koralin both sitting at the table reading this newspaper both looking very concerned about something.

Wilhelm approached the table and sat down beside Koralin who passed him the newspaper. Wilhelm gently took the newspaper from Koralins hand. Placing the newspaper down in front of him he started to read what was on the front page.

Attempted Assassination of Otto Assing.

Last night at midnight there was an assassination attempt on the East German politician Otto Assing in Munich outside the motel he was planning to stay in. Otto Assing was shot and wounded and is currently in a hospital in Munich his condition is stable according to the hospital. Unfortunately, two of his security guards were killed by the assassin.

As for the assassin, we know that he was formerly a soldier in the SS. Yet the intention of attempting to kill Otto Assing is unknown. And we currently don't know if the assassin is still in Munich or if he has fled the city. But we do know that the assassin is armed and dangerous. If you see any suspicious activity, please report it to the local authorities.

Wilhelm looked up at Koralin who had tears streaming down her face. Wilhelm placed his hand on her shoulder and gently squeezed it.

"He will be alright," Wilhelm said as he gently rubbed Koralin's back in an attempt to soothe her.

"Why would someone try to kill my brother Mr. Hartmann?" Koralin asked as she tried to hold back her tears.

"I don't know Miss Assing,"

"I wish I could see him. But I can't as I have to stay here and I feel guilty that I can't see him,"

"I'm sure that he would understand why you can't see him,"

Wilhelm continued to try to soothe Koralin while Carla got up from her seat and began to make some breakfast. Eventually, Wilhelm hummed a soft and soothing tune to calm Koralin. Koralin wiped her tears away after a few minutes and looked over at Wilhelm with a small smile. After a while, Carla placed three bowls of warm porridge and three spoons on the table the homey smell of oats filled the air. Carla sat down beside Koralin and looked at Wilhelm and smiled and Wilhelm smiled back at her.

They started to eat their porridge. Wilhelm took his first spoonful of porridge, and as the creamy porridge filled his mouth, a sugary and oaty taste spread throughout his taste buds. A gentle warmth also flowed through his mouth as he ate. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. Carla got up from her seat wandered over to the door and opened it. Wilhelm paused and looked up and saw a familiar man standing at the door.

"Who are you, sir?" Carla asked.

"I am Lennard Bain a friend of Mr. Hartmann," Lennard replied.

"I see and why are you here?"

"I want to speak with Mr. Hartmann in private,"

Wilhelm got up from his seat and approached Lennard as he walked over to the door he felt his heart thumping in his chest. He wondered if someone had finally found out who he was and that he might need to admit the truth. As he stopped in front of the door Lennard politely gestured for him to come outside which Wilhelm did so. Once Wilhelm stepped outside he shut the door and smiled at Lennard even though he was deeply anxious about what Lennard had to say to him.