Chapter 07: Perish the Thought

I staunchly hold his gaze while I play with my hair, "The lattes and muffins are both delicious, but the best thing for you to order... is me."

He stares at me, his eyes widening and his mouth hanging open slightly. I couldn't help but giggle at his reaction. He shakes his head and grins. "Jesus woman!" he exclaimed. "What are you trying to do to me?"

I just shrug and give him a sly smile. "I'm just being honest," I reply and then shrug as I continue, "However, if you'd rather, we can stick to muffins and lattes."

His laughter ring out like a beautiful melody that warms my heart. "I believe I'll have the muffins, lattes... and you." A blush blossoms on my cheeks. His smile is broad and reaches his ocean-like eyes that hold a twinkle of amusement... and something else I can't quite name yet.

I steadily look him in the eyes. "Are you sure you can handle all of that?" I say in a sultry tone, feeling bolder than I ever have before. I'm playing with fire here, and I know it, but this is fun. Our teasing disguises the delicate dance we're performing. It felt like another test; one to see where our boundaries lay.

His expression softens, his smile remaining as he leans in closer. "Who's to say I can't?" His voice is low, almost husky, playful, and yet, challenging. He's so close that I catch the slight scent of his cologne, underpinned by something musky and uniquely him. It's intoxicating, and I only want more of it.

I lean back, smirking. "We'll see about that, mister," I promise, my pulse racing as I watch a spark ignite in his eyes. This almost seems like something from my dreams. I'm a woman sitting across from a man whose affectionate gaze is solely mine, and it feels exhilarating.

As we laugh, tease, and sip our lattes, a subtle but powerful connection is growing between us. It's something that doesn't need a label or defined, or explained in words. He reaches across the table and takes my hand in his, gently brushing against my painted nails before intertwining our fingers. His touch is tender and comforting. Showing me that I'm someone important to him, someone he deeply values.

"I've always been one for accepting challenges," he adds with a wink that sends my heart fluttering madly against my rib cage. My stomach performs an excited flip as I squeeze his hand lightly in return. There's no turning back now; we were in this delicate dance together.

While we sit there enjoying our drinks, and each other's company, I realize that it isn't just the teasing or the flirting or even his handsome face that interests me in him. It's how he sees me. Not as a boy who changed his gender to be with someone. Not some exotic or taboo creature to be avoided, but just as myself; the girl that loves him with every fiber of her being.

The fact that we are here together at this moment, with these intense feelings for each other, is something I may never fully comprehend, but I'm content with just this.

As we linger over our drinks, I can't help but marvel at how quickly this has evolved. I never would have imagined that falling in love with my best friend would set off a highly unlikely chain of events that led us to this moment, sitting together at a cozy coffee shop. It's the kind of story even the most imaginative fairy tale writer couldn't dream up. Then again, life has a way of surprising you in the most unforeseen ways.

I take another sip of my tea, lean forward, and ask in a sultry tone, "Wanna get out of here?"

Having said that, I feel a surge of excitement. This is a bold move for me, but I can't help it. Our conversation has stoked the smoldering ember within me. When it comes to him, I have very little control of my desires. His touch, kisses, and embrace are all I crave, they're even more essential than breathing.