36. Part Of The Family.

Layla's p.o.v.

'Cloud can control lightning. Cloud can control lightning!' I'm half terrified and half amazed. Cutter and Burble have moved as far away from Cloud as they could without it looking weird. "I can control lightning, and rain, and fog, basically just storms in general. We're still trying to figure out all the things that fall under that category. My power allows me to shoot lightning, direct lightning, absorb lightning, summon storms, etc. It makes me the most powerful of the three of us." 'Wow. This is a lot of information to process.' "That is awesome!!! Show us!" Dak yells excitedly. 'How does he hear something this serious and only think of how fun it could be?! Doesn't he realize that she could have killed and of us, especially Winger?! Doesn't he realize how dangerous being around her is? Oh, what am thinking. Dak loves danger!'  Subconsciously I step behind Summer. Cloud must have noticed because I see her flinch. "This is who I am. Take it or leave it. I can't and won't change. If your too scared of me now and don't want us staying with you anymore then we can go back to our nest." 'I can't... This is just... It's too much at once!'  

Everyone looks just as shocked as I am. Winger blinks a few times, then slowly walks up to Cloud. Potitin and Slash tense and bare their teeth uneasily at him. Cloud also tenses, but I think it's more out of fear than aggression. Winger slowly reaches out and nuzzles Cloud. "Of course we won't ask you to change yourself. I don't know about the rest of them, but your powers don't scare me. All of your elemental powers are dangerous, but I don't see how that would change anything." 'Winger's right. They're still the same dragons... just way more powerful.'  "All this new information does is explain some of the stuff you guys do. Like how I now understand how Potitin can seemingly hold his breathe for hours. And why Slash is so skilled with weapons. And I always wondered why the clouds would change to match Cloud's mood." Summer adds, moving to join Winger. 'I really want to believe them, but I just can't get past how dangerous they are.'  "It won't be easy, but I'll try to treat you the same as I did before." I tell them, slowly moving up to stand beside my big brother and best friend. 

"Your powers have always been there. Us knowing about them now doesn't change the past. You could have seriously hurt all of us at one point or another, but you didn't. So, I trust you." Winger says to the siblings. Ever since we were little, he's had this "gift" of giving powerful and inspiring speeches. This is no exception. "Yeah! You guys are awesome!" Dak cheers. 'Why does he always have to be so loud?'  Cloud and her siblings look really surprised. "You really aren't scared of us? Even though you know what we can do?" Potitin asks. 'I'm scared, for sure. But I won't let that make me treat them badly.'  "Yes, I'm scared. But I trust you guys not to use your powers to hurt us." I smile at them. "Wow. No one has ever done that before. Probably because they wanted to take our island and we had to fight them off, but still." 'Leave it to Slash to bring violence into every conversation.' "How about we make a deal. We don't hurt you; you don't hurt us. Sound good?" Cutter jokes from behind me. 'Guess he got over his fear.' The siblings exchange looks, then nod. "I think we can do that." Potitin grins happily, but Cloud still seems nervous. "Sorry we didn't tell you earlier." "It's ok. We understand why you wanted to keep them a secret." Winger replies, stepping forward and wrapping his wings around Cloud. Soon everyone is in a big group hug around the siblings.

~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! I'm so glad to finally have the whole 'elemental powers' thing out of the way. Now I can move on to the next big obstacle the Rescue Riders will need to face. 

I just want to point out that, to me, Dak and Layla are 12 years old. So, the obnoxious yelling from Dak is not only his character, but also his age. And as such, Layla is not being mean for her fear of Cloud's powers. Lightning is a dangerous and powerful element. And in HTTYD, Lightning is a pretty big deal.

Now that my little rant is over, I hope you all have enjoyed this chapter! Comment and tell me what you think, reactions to certain parts, commentary, it's all welcome! (just no swearing!) Till next time! 🐾🪶🐚