CHAPTER 04: Serendipity's Embrace of Change

ALSEI'S POV

One more typical morning, I awoke with a sense of dread, dragging myself through the motions—tea in hand, shower, makeup, wig, and contact lenses. The usual routine to become someone else, someone presentable. The facade had to be flawless.

Seira Co.’s hum of activity welcomed me, and I returned the greetings from my colleagues with practiced ease. But beneath the surface, anxiety brewed, sharper today than before. It had been a week since Heave entrusted me with preparing a presentation for "Model 1326," a project that I hadn’t fully grasped yet. Why me? I was just a Virtual Assistant Manager, someone who was supposed to blend in, not stand out. Yet Heave had asked me directly, her confidence in me too strong to refuse.

My mind drifted to the subtle changes I had noticed within myself since meeting her and Akio. They had both affected me in ways I hadn’t expected. Around them, I laughed more. My voice, once hidden behind walls of insecurity, found its way out, albeit tentatively. But even so, revealing myself to others felt foreign—dangerous, even. Heave had spoken of the time it takes to truly open up to people, and I realized that, for now, I wasn’t ready.

By 8 a.m., I was already in the meeting room, setting up for the presentation. The familiar whirr of my nerves filled my chest, tightening with each passing minute. Questions about Heave and Akio’s relationship flitted through my mind, distracting me until Akio’s voice called my name, pulling me back into the present.

"You’ll do fine," he assured, his tone a calming anchor.

Heave, seated beside him, smiled, and in that moment, her encouragement almost brought tears to my eyes. I swallowed them back, not allowing myself the indulgence of vulnerability.

When the time came, I stood before the room and delivered the presentation as I had rehearsed a hundred times in my head. The questions came, and I answered them one by one, surprised at how steady my voice was. Judging by their expressions, I dared to hope that I had done well. The room began to clear, and as the crowd filed out, I caught a hushed conversation directed at Heave, something too low to make out.

Once everyone had left, Heave and Akio remained, their expressions unusually serious. I had seen Akio serious before, but this intensity from Heave was unexpected.

"You’re probably wondering why I gave you the presentation, right?" Heave asked, her voice direct.

"Yes… why me? I’m not exactly in a position to present something like this. I’m just an assistant," I replied, my confusion evident.

Heave paused before speaking, her gaze piercing. "There was supposed to be someone else presenting alongside you, but they didn’t show up. But that’s not the only reason. I need a Second Secretary. My workload is increasing, especially with business trips and other key events. I chose you because, despite your title, I see your potential. You have the intelligence, the capability. You could easily take on more, even a higher position."

Her words hung in the air, settling into the cracks of my uncertainty. I stared at her, unsure of how to respond.

"I’ll be awaiting the CEO’s report, due in two months. For now, I want you on standby," she continued, her tone firm.

I nodded, absorbing the weight of her request. "Understood, Ms. Singeman."

A rare smile graced her lips. "You did well today, Ms. Akahoshi. I look forward to working with you."

Akio hadn’t spoken, but his gaze held something warm, something reassuring. He didn’t need words. The silent ‘I’m proud of you’ in his eyes was enough, and I smiled back.

"We have another meeting to get to," Heave said, gathering her things. "I’ll see you at lunch."

I returned to my office, the morning’s whirlwind still buzzing in my thoughts. An hour later, with half my workload completed, I allowed myself a break. I plugged in my earphones and stared out the window, letting the music drown out the uncertainty. This change… Heave’s expectations… Akio’s quiet support… It all weighed heavily on me, but there was also a strange peace in knowing I wasn’t alone.