Chapter Eight

I climbed up the steps of my apartment building, struggling a bit because I was so damn tired. When I unlocked the door, the room was enveloped in darkness. The only bit of light source at the moment was coming from the moon peeking through lace curtains. I'm not quite fond of the darkness so I immediately turned on the nearest lamp. I wonder if Anne is here...

"Anne? You there?"

No reply.

I guess she's not home yet. Just then, the phone began to ring, breaking the silence. I yelped so loud, I'm pretty sure the others in the building heard me. I walked to the telephone, my heart still beating rapidly from the recent scare.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Montse! I just called to let you know I'm coming home a bit late, so don't wait for me! Also because I am such a dear, I left you some dinner. It's in the fridge, just heat it up." The voice of Anne said through the phone.

"Oh, thanks! Don't stay out so late, silly."

"Okay, mother." She said sarcastically. "I'll be home at, hmm... Let's see... 3 o'clock?" She bursts out laughing, knowing if that were true, I'd get on her.

"Very funny. Catch you later." I said before hanging up the phone.

I hate to sound so strict and stuck-up, but if it weren't for me, Anne would be caught in a mass of predicaments.

I walked to the kitchen and took out the plate of pasta and vegetables stored in the fridge for me and popped it in the microwave.

At least she's a good cook.

After dinner, I brushed my teeth and got ready for bed. As I was taking off my dirty clothes, I made sure to pull out the paper from earlier before I forgot. After I was all set, I went to fulfill my, to be frank, stupid plan. But it was really all I could do to erase my irrational thoughts.

I walked over to my trash can and I was pleased to find the torn pieces of paper. I gathered them all up and brought them to my desk. I tried my best to sort the pieces correctly and eventually succeeded. I took out the paper in which Roger signed today and examined both.

The handwriting...

They were so similar to each other...

Actually, it's the exact same!

Even the R and T appeared just the way they appear in Roger's signature...