ACE UP THE SLEEVE

Luka embraced Amanda tightly. "You were great, but never put yourself in danger like that again."

"I was serious," she charmingly smiled.

He lightly slapped her on the buttocks. "You can't pay for the most handsome lover when you already have one."

"You're very confident..."

He silenced her with a passionate kiss. "What did you want to say?"

"Luka!" She sobered up suddenly. "We need to go get my mom."

"Don't worry. She's already on her way."

She looked at him warmly. "I love you."

"And I love you," he squeezed her tighter. "You and our child are the most important to me. You should have let me kill him!" he growled.

"Did you forget he had a gun pointed at your head?"

"I would have killed him before he pulled the trigger."

"Don't be so arrogant. You're not Superman."

"What do we do now?" she asked fearfully. "Now we go to war," he said through gritted teeth.

Gabriel sat behind his desk, staring thoughtfully through the glass partition. Luka entered his office.

It's a shame you didn't kill him; it would have prevented a lot of trouble," he said coldly.

"I agree with you," Luka replied.

He sat opposite him. Gabriel turned, looking him directly in the eyes, visibly amused. "On the other hand..." his mustache curled up, "Amanda acted quite cleverly at that moment. She probably saved your life."

"Possible," Luka replied coldly.

"A paid fuck?"

"That's what she said, and the most handsome one," Luka grinned. "She says neither Erik nor I are needed."

"Ha, ha, ha... I wish I could have seen Erik's expression," Gabriel laughed.

"It's safe to say he was surprised."

"And you?"

"Oh, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to Amanda." "

I assume you have an ace up your sleeve?"

"Not yet, but I will. I just need a little more time."

"What's the plan?"

"We have 24 hours to deliver Amanda, and then Erik will strike. Everyone is on high alert, civilians and special forces alike. Oliver has been assigned as Amanda's personal guard."

"And you?"

"I have to go get my ace."

"You know you're leaving at the most inconvenient time? Leaving your pregnant partner alone."

"I'm aware of the risk, and I'm doing it reluctantly, but I trust you. There's no other way. I need a maximum of 48 hours."

Gabriel nodded.

"Old Sazonov may have had one foot in the grave, but I know he was cunning even on his deathbed. Erik doesn't care about Amanda, that's obvious, but he cares about power. I believe the old man left a will tying Erik's fate to Amanda's. Ultimately, I console myself with the thought that he doesn't want to harm her, even if the worst happens. If I want my plan to succeed and end this before it turns into bloodshed, I have to go."

"Do you need help?"

"No, I have to go alone."

Luka stood up.