Chapter Nine

When Kyutsuki-sensei dismissed homeroom for the day to commence cleaning, Masato sought Satoru out once the class moved their desks to the back of the classroom. "Can we talk after cleaning?" he asked softly.

Satoru gave him a piercing look. Masato's stomach did a couple of flip-flops. "We can talk now," Satoru said after a moment.

"It can wait, it's not serious," Masato said. "We have to help with clean—"

"Go ahead and talk to him," Ryoma said with a cheeky grin, giving Satoru a slight nudge. "He deserves a lecture for hogging Eiji."

"Right," Hikaru agreed with his own cheeky grin.

"Let's go to the roof, it should be open now," Satoru said, taking Masato by the arm.

The roof of Yukinaga's main building was almost built like an observation deck, complete with a small garden and miniature observatory for the Astronomy Club. Masato never really got a chance to go up there because of how crowded it always was, even during cleaning hour. Thankfully the roof was open and also unoccupied. The garden was north of the doors, and the pair headed over to the garden. They sat down next to purple and blue hydrangea plants, which were starting to bloom. The scenic environment almost seemed romantic, but Masato flushed in embarrassment at the thought.

"So," Satoru said, his tone pointed. "What did you want to talk about, Masato?"

"A-Ah," Masato stammered, feeling his embarrassment mount. He ruffled his own hair awkwardly and looked away. "The others...they've been complaining about you, Satoru."

"About Eiji?" Satoru asked him. The other boy shrugged stiffly. "They've been complaining to me, too."

"T-They said you've been unfairly hogging him," Masato said. He couldn't look at the other boy's face. "I-I appreciate your help with this, but they want to help too."

"I like taking care of him," Satoru said.

"R-Really?" Masato looked at him then.

"Of course," Satoru said. "He's well-mannered and energetic. I don't see him as a burden, if that's what you're worried about. I want to help, and I enjoy helping."

Masato swallowed thickly. "...You do?"

"Yes."

Satoru held his gaze for a long moment. Masato felt goosebumps rise on his arms and his heart in his throat. There seemed to be...tension filling the air. He didn't want to get his hopes up about it, but...

I like him. I really like him. I've never liked anyone like this. But...

Satoru looked away from him then. After another awkward moment of silence he reached up and took off his glasses. "Do you know why I like taking care of Eiji, Masato?" he asked quietly. "Why I want to help you?"

"I..." Masato's throat suddenly felt dry. He tried to swallow but it was too tight. "No," he admitted. "I-I don't know why."

It can't be. It can't be...can it?

Satoru calmly folded his glasses and set them in his throat. The tension Masato had sensed earlier was stronger, but now he was terrified he was reading too much into Satoru's questions. "Could...Could you please tell me why?" he asked quietly. "I-I'm really overthinking the—"

Satoru suddenly turned to face him fully, and grabbed his shoulders. Before Masato could react he was pulled forward, and Satoru's mouth suddenly covered his in a kiss. Masato's mind went blank, and his heart began slamming against the wall of his chest. It was a simple kiss; their lips pressed firmly together. But Masato felt like he was...floating out of his body. He couldn't believe that it was happening. That it wasn't a dream.

The kiss only lasted for a few seconds, but it felt like forever to Masato. He didn't want it to end. But Satoru broke the kiss and cupped his face in his hands. He didn't move away; his breath stirring Masato's cheeks. Masato felt light-headed, and leaned closer to him.

Did that happen? That happened, didn't it?

He couldn't speak. It was Satoru who spoke first, his voice low. "Always remember to love yourself. That way, you know that there will always be someone who loves you."

Masato opened his eyes and looked at him. That sounded like a phrase...or a proverb. "What was that from?" he murmured.

A peculiar expression crossed Satoru's face. Shock and confusion. It was a face that made Masato feel confused. "You don't know?" Satoru asked. His tone was disbelieving."

"I...no," Masato said. He reached up to touch one of Satoru's wrist. "Should I?"

Satoru withdrew from him then, very abruptly. He put his glasses back on and stood up. "Never mind," he said, looking away. "I'll let Hikaru take Eiji tonight. I'll see you downstairs."

"Satoru?"

But the other boy was already walking away quickly towards the door. Masato moved to stand up, but he realized that his knees felt weak. He dropped back down on the bench and traced his bottom lip with his index finger. "...He kissed me," he said aloud. "He..." he let his voice trail off, but the words finished in his mind.

He kissed me...but he seems angry with me.

*

Ryoma rubbed both hands over his hands and groaned in exasperation. "Let me get this straight," he said, leaning his hands onto the top of the broom handle. "He manhandled you and yelled in your face—and you think that was hot?!"

"I can't explain it," Akira said, staring off into. "But it was the most exhilarating feeling I ever felt. When he picked me up by my collar, I could feel—power. He always has a hard expression, but his eyes...twinkle when he's angry."

The other three boys gaped at him in shock. "'Twinkle'?" Hikaru echoed with an arched brow.

"Manabu Sato," Kazunari muttered, glancing towards the ceiling. "He's been giving Masato a hard time, hasn't he?"

"Let Satoru deal with that," Ryoma said. He gestured to Akira, who seemed to be in a dreamy state. "What are we going to do about...this?"

"Well if Akira can distract Senpai from Masato, then it'll be better for him," Hikaru laughed.

"Yo-kun, where's Sa-kun?" Koji asked as he hurried over to the three.

"Don't call me that," Ryoma snapped for the umpteenth time. "And he's still with Masato."

"Oh lighten up, Yo-kun," Hikaru laughed.

"Oh Na-kun, do you know Takumi Hashimoto?" Koji asked suddenly.

"Who?" Kazunari asked.

"You're "Na-kun"," Ryoma said blandly.

"The name sounds familiar," Hikaru mused.

"He got the perfect score this year," Koji said.

"Oh, him," Kazunari said. "No, I don't. Why?"

"Well, he wears Vice brand glasses."

"I don't have personal relationships with customers."

"Oh. I see."

"A scholarship student can afford Vice glasses?" Hikaru wondered in awe.

"Then were probably a congratulatory gift for his perfect score," Kazunari asked.

"Which homeroom is Senpai in?" Akira mused. "Maybe I should go upstairs and check."

"You're being weird," Ryoma pointed out.