Chapter Eight

May 23rd, 2029

"Just two more weeks!" Koji cheered, pumping his fists. "Two more weeks and we can switch to summer uniforms!"

"I think I got everything," Masato said, looking through his schoolbag. They were standing in the middle of the main room of Masato's apartment. "Koji, we don't have a test today, do we?"

"No, Sa-kun," Koji said cheerfully. "But don't forget your lunch today!"

"My lunch!" Masato hurried to the fridge and pulled his lunch bag out. He exhaled in relief. "Thank you, Koji."

"Let's go and catch our train, Sa-kun." Koji waved to him.

"I need to send Ryoma a text," Masato said as he locked up. "He had Eiji last night and I want to be sure everything was okay."

"Did Yo-kun send you a message?" Koji asked as they headed down the stairs.

"Ah, no," Masato admitted. "And Hikaru is supposed to have him tonight—"

"Have a good day, Masato-kun!" Toasa called from her door, waving. "Tell Eiji-chan I miss him!"

"I will, Toasa-san!" Masato called back to her.

It had been two weeks since his friends had started taking Eiji in on different nights of the week to give Masato time to himself. During that time Masato got caught up on sleep and his schoolwork and was finally able to...relax, somewhat. Though he still got Eiji one or two nights a week, it felt abnormal being home alone at times to wake up alone at home again. It had been an adjustment at first having Eiji with him in the beginning, and now it was an adjustment being without Eiji. He knew that it would be hard for his friends to watch a baby, but he hardly received any complaints about Eiji from the others.

It was a relief, but...

"She looks like she's doing better," Koji observed about Toasa.

"She is," Masato said. "She's asked if she could watch Eiji again, but my schedule is already full of people who want to watch him."

"It's certainly competitive," Koji laughed, putting his hands behind his head as they walked. "Ji-chan is very popular."

"I haven't told Haha yet," Masato blurted out.

"Eh?" Koji looked at him in shock.

"I...haven't told Haha that you guys are helping me," he confessed quietly, ducking his head. "We spoke yesterday, and I—I wanted to tell her then, but I couldn't do it. She doesn't know that you guys...that all of you are helping me with Eiji."

"How come, Sa-kun?" Koji asked.

Masato shook his head, but he couldn't find the words to reply. Koji was about to speak again when his eyes suddenly widened in shock. "Oh, Yo-kun?" he gasped.

Masato quickly followed his gaze and saw a familiar blue Jaguar XE™️ drive straight towards them. Both boys stopped in their tracks as it pulled up next to them and the window rolled down to reveal Ryoma's grinning face. "Good morning! Want a ride?"

Masato's jaw dropped open in shock. They didn't exactly live near Ryoma, so he must have gone out of his way to drive over to their neighborhood. Masato smiled politely. "Thank you, Ryoma."

"You're awesome, Yo-kun!" Koji cheered, running around the car to get into the front passenger seat. Ryoma frowned in disapproval, but Masato quickly slipped into the backseat behind the driver seat. He scoffed and shook his head. "Okay, let's go."

"Did you buy this car in the UK, Yo-kun?" Koji asked excitedly. It wasn't the first time they rode in Ryoma's Jaguar™️ but Koji was still brimming with excitement.