CHAPTER 1

Maeve sat at her desk, staring endlessly at the e-mail waiting to be sent. The e-mail could go 1 or 2 ways. Each way would have a different outcome on the next month for Mae. She could either research the murder case of Madison Klark or she would be in deep trouble and risk not getting her assignment done. Whatever way it went, she was e-mailing the mother who had her daughter killed by the Glass Killer.

The Glass Killer was a crazy murderer who murdered 12 children under the age of 17 in 2015. The Press gave The Glass Killer their nickname. This was because every murder they committed, the victim had glass cuts all over their body and a shard of glass that sat next to the victims left hand. Madison Klark was killed by the Glass Killer at age 8. She was one of the youngest victims and she was also the final murder the Glass Killer did. 3 months after Madison's brutal murder, Timothy Baker, The Glass Killer, owned up to all the crimes.

After what felt like hours of Maeve reading the e-mail over and over again, she dragged the cursor so it sat over the SEND button. It was time. Maeve closed her eyes and counted in her head. "3...2...1...". By the time Maeve had opened her eyes, the e-mail had moved to the SENT folder. It was gone! Maeve sat back in her chair and sighed in relief. Although, a little bit of fear and anxiousness lingered with her. But, she kept telling herself "I need to sit and wait. I cant do anything now.". The e-mail now depended on Kathrine. She read over the already sent e-mail again. "Should I have done this?"

****

Maeve woke up to the sun slightly lighting her bedroom through the curtains. She relaxed in bed, forgetting about her stress last night. But that relaxation didn't last for long. The thought popped into her head as she scrolled through Social Media. "The E-mail." Mae said silently to herself. Desperately, Mae threw herself out of bed and sat herself down at her desk. She opened the lid of her laptop and sat impatiently as it awoke. She opened the E-Mail app and clicked onto the e-mail. It still sat there in the SENT folder. It had been sent, but not read. Yet.

Maeve was pulled out of a daydream by a faint knock on her bedroom door. Her laptop lid was still open, and her laptop was still showing her word document with her to-do list on it. Mae pushed her desk, spinning her chair round to face her bedroom door. "Come in." Maeve said, awaiting whoever was on the other side of the door. The door slowly opened, and Maeve watched as her mum slowly emerged from behind the door. "Hello Mae-Mae. I was wondering what you wanted for lunch. It's 13:39. You should really eat something." Mae's mum slightly closed the door behind her. She walked across the room and sat on the side of Maeve's bed. "I know. I'll just come down just now." Maeve closed her laptop lid and stood up.

"Morning. Wait, afternoon." Maeve's dad said as he swallowed a bit of sandwich. Maeve walked through the kitchen towards the bread bin in the corner. "Afternoon." Maeve coughed. She chatted away to her dad while she made herself a Cheese and Ham toastie. "So, what's todays plan then?" Maeve's dad asked as Mae sat down across from him at the dining table. "I don't know. Might take Dara on a walk." As soon as Maeve said Dara's name, Dara, the family golden retriever, came running through.

"MAE! ELLA'S AT THE DOOR!" Maeve's mum yelled through the house. Maeve ran out her room, across the first floor landing and down the stairs towards the front door. Mae's mum stood next to the open door. "Hey Mae! Fancy a walk?" Ella waved her dog's lead in her hand. "Yeah, just wait there. Let me just get ready." Maeve sat down on the cold wooden floor and slipped on her Adidas shoes. "Dara!" Maeve yelled. She watched as her golden retriever waddled through the door that lead to the kitchen. "Come on Dara. Walkies." Maeve attached Dara's lead and stepped out the door into the glorious April sunshine. "I'm away on a walk!" Maeve said to her mum standing, holding the front door. "Okay, enjoy it." Maeve's mum closed the door behind Maeve and Ella.

"So, how's your Criminology Assignment going?" Ella asked as Maeve and her walked along the pavement that lead down to Liverstone woods. "Not great. Kathrine Klark hasn't replied back to my e-mail." Maeve ranted. It was 15:00pm and it hadn't been 24 hours yet sine she sent the e-mail. "Oh. William Jackson's murder case is proving much more difficult then I thought." Ella and Maeve spent the rest of the walk talking about their Criminology Assignments. Each time Maeve's phone buzzed, she would check it immediately, just in case it was Kathrine Klark and her e-mail back. Maeve thought about the e-mail more and more. She never thought it at the start of this assignment, but she was starting to regret it. Should she have done Madison Klark's murder case?