Mighty Without Mac

Mighty Mac is a Double-Fairlie Engine. This means that he or rather they are an engine with a cab in the middle and what looks like two engines stuck together on either side. One of the sides is Mighty, and the other is Mac. They are perhaps the strangest looking engine on the Island of Sodor, but they are nevertheless Really Useful and are easily the strongest engine on the Skarloey Railway. 

One day, Mighty Mac was pulling some heavy slate to the Wharf so some bargemen could deliver it to different docksides on the Mainland. 

"We ought to go this way," said Mighty. 

"Last time we went that way, we got delayed by some sheep on the track," pointed out Mac. 

"Well, we can hardly go this way," said Mighty, "it doesn't even take us to the Wharf." 

"But if we go back to the last junction, we may find a quicker way." 

"Why can't we just follow the usual route, Mac?" 

"And why can't you ever like one of MY ideas, Mighty?" 

"Alright, that's enough, you two...or one, or whichever," huffed Skarloey as he came past. "You two need to just follow the route you've been told and deliver the slate on time." 

"Thank you, Skarloey," said Mighty, "see, Mac? Skarloey understands that I'm the one who's often right. After all, I was the first half to be built." 

Mac was cross with Mighty. Mighty had been assembled first between them and that made Mighty feel like the eldest and therefore the wisest. Mac hated being looked at as the younger half who didn't make any decisions without being shot down by the elder half. 

As Mighty Mac stopped at the next junction to let a farmer cross the line with his sheep, Rusty pulled up alongside. 

"Are you okay, Mac?" he asked. "You look grumpy." 

Mac whispered to Rusty. 

"I'm sick of Mighty always thinking he's the best out of us. We're meant to be a team to be a Really Useful Engine." 

"I'm sure Mighty knows he cannot be Really Useful without you." 

But Mac wasn't so sure, and he had an idea to show Mighty how important he was after all... 

Later, after delivering the slate to the Wharf, Mighty piped up to Mac. 

"We now need to collect some campers and take them up to the mountains. Come on, Mac!" 

Mighty started to move, but Mac didn't. In fact, he didn't move his wheels at all. 

"What are you playing at, Mac?" asked Mighty crossly. 

Mac didn't answer. 

Thomas chuffed in to the Wharf and saw what was going on. 

"Are you two arguing about which way to go again?" he asked. 

"No, Thomas, we both know exactly where to go," said Mighty, "but Mac doesn't seem to want to move." 

"Why?" 

"He won't tell me." 

And Mac didn't tell Mighty, or anybody else. He just sat there looking cross and stubborn. 

"I'll just have to drag you then," huffed Mighty. 

And with an effort, Mighty pulled away but Mac was still not making any effort to follow behind. 

Then there was trouble. Mighty Mac were meant to already have left the Wharf, so Sir Handel entered on the same line with some bricks thinking the track ahead was clear. 

"Look out, Sir Handel!" whistled Mighty. 

Sir Handel applied his brakes, but it was too late. 

His first truck of bricks bashed into Mighty and the bricks broke out onto the ground. Brick dust covered Mighty's face and got stuck in his funnel. 

"ATCHOO!" 

"Mighty Mac, what are you doing here?" asked Sir Handel. 

"I couldn't get off this track in time," spluttered Mighty, "Mac wasn't willing to move." 

Just then, the Thin Controller arrived looking unimpressed. 

"Why, Mighty Mac, didn't you arrive at the station on time? The campers are waiting! And furthermore, look at all this delay and confusion!" 

Everyone looked at Mac. He felt ashamed. 

"It's my fault, sir," he said sadly, "I was trying to teach Mighty a lesson." 

He explained how Mighty made him feel belittled and not listened to and how he came up with the idea of going on strike. 

"I can appreciate your feelings, Mac," said Mr Percival, "but by going on strike, not only did you make Mighty not look Really Useful, but you made yourself not look Useful, but very silly!" 

"I'm sorry, sir," wheeshed Mac meekly. 

"And I'm sorry I made you feel this way, Mac," said Mighty. 

"Well, at least you two have sorted things out," said the Thin Controller, "but now you need to go to the Steamworks to have your funnel cleaned out, Mighty. I'll have Victor come and collect you, while Josh takes your campers." 

"Yes, sir," said Mighty Mac together. 

So, Josh took the campers up into the mountains, and Victor shunted Mighty Mac to the Steamworks. Mac helped too, willing to do his best to make up for the trouble he had caused. 

(Colin can be seen helping clear up the bricks.) 

Soon, Mighty Mac were cleaned, polished and back at work. They came to the Transfer Yards where Mr Percival assigned them a new job. 

"I need you two to collect some timber wood from the forest and bring it back here for James to collect." 

"Which way do YOU think we should go, Mac?" asked Mighty. 

Mac beamed. This was a new experience for him and he appreciated it very much. 

"I think we should get there across the Rheneas Viaduct, Mighty. It's a fairly straight and direct route and there won't be any stray animals across there!" 

"Splendid idea, Mac," said Mighty. 

And with that, the two or the one engine puffed happily away to the forest. 

(The End!)