-II-

That day Johnathon had to come to terms with the fact he hadn't imagined that make-out session with his crush and go along with his duties.

The next day he went to work only with the one intention to find her. All morning he had roamed the halls with all kinds of excuses, only so that he could pretend he had bumped in her on accident. But... no luck.

Later, at lunch, John sat in the cafeteria, all by himself at the same table, he had sat at yesterday. He had a somber expression on his face, not being able to bring himself to eat something.

That's when she walked in.

She rushed in the cafeteria, with only one thing on her mind - food... and maybe something else... She hadn't had time to eat breakfast in the morning, since she had woken up too late and would've been late for work.

This time, his internal thoughts are accompanied by the hope that Daria will seek him out again. The previous day's encounter had left him giddy enough to ignore the possibility of her ignoring him completely, or her not coming back again.

After she ordered herself some lunch, her mind went to searching for a table. She threw a glance across the tables. That's when she spotted him and her heart skipped a beat.

She thought about it for a second, shrugged, went and sat on the chair in front of him.

"G'afternoon~" She greeted and started unpacking her lunch.

-My god, was that her talking to me??-

The second she sat down in the chair in front of him, he was instantly flooded with a sense of relief and joy. He was so happy to see her so soon, but that joy was almost immediately overtaken by a rising sense of anxiety.

"So... how've you been?" She asked, before she took a bite out of her, now-opened, sandwich.

-Don't mess this up. I can't mess this up today, goddamnit. Don't mess this up for the love of God-

He swallowed hard at the sound of her voice.

-Don't space out you idiot. Say something. Just say something.

"... I-I'm fine."

"Have you had lunch yet?" She asked, after swallowing her previous bite.

-Did she say that? Did she just ask me if I've had lunch yet?-

She was trying to make casual conversation and his stupid, idiotic, good-for-nothing, awkward, nervous brain couldn't deal with the pressure.

-Just say 'no' That is what a normal adult would say, you dipshit. Just say 'No'-

"... no."

She was already finishing up with her sandwich when she lifted her gaze from it, to look at him.

"Well then, how 'bout I buy you something, hm?"

Her sudden, and somewhat flirtatious, offer was like the final nail in the coffin for his composure. He hadn't expected her to be this bold today and it caught him off-guard.

-Don't freak out. Don't freak out. You don't want to look like some pathetic loser-

He smiled nervously. "Uhm... are you serious?"

"Yea?" Daria stared at him, a little confused.

"You... you'd really do that for me?"

He was already feeling stupid for what he had just asked, because it was pretty obvious how she had felt about him yesterday in the closet. Of course, she'd be willing to buy him some lunch. But he couldn't seem to stop himself from making a fool out of himself. He felt like his brain and heart were doing a tug-of-war for which organ was in charge of his stupidity. His brain was losing.