Ch.1

August, 20th 1945:
Rosemary's pov:

"Rosemary dear! Come down to my office please!" My father Edward called up the stairs to me.

"Yes father!" I called back down before closing my book and climbing off my bed and making my way down stairs.

Walking into my fathers vast office the first things I notice is the massive library and extravagant mahogany table.

"Yes father?" I ask as I tap his shoulder. Jumping, he turns around.

"Darlin' you're gonna give me a heart attack," he laughed with his Deep Southern accent.

"Sorry father," I smiled back "you called?"

"Ah yes dear! We're having guests tonight! I want you to go and see if Jodie needs a hand in the kitchen then go get cleaned up," he answered.

Nodding I reply, "Of course, father."

Turning around I leave the office and make my way to the kitchen where Jodie is cooking. Walking in I see Jodie at the sink peeling potatoes. Knocking on the door to let her know I'm here. I walk in and grab a potato peeler and get to work beside her.

"How're you doll?" Jodie asks, smiling at me. Jodie is our maid. Not our slave, do not mistake that. My father put out an add in the newspaper, and she answered. She can leave whenever she wants too. Though she has been here fifteen years so I don't think she'll leave anytime soon.

"I'm good, thank you Jodie. How's Lucy?" I answer smiling back, watching her eyes glow as I mention her ten year old daughter.

Jodie and her husband have been together since they were twenty-one and had Lucy when they were twenty-six. Jodie had began working for us just after she got married so she's like my little sister as Jodie would bring her to the house a lot when she was younger.

"Brilliant! She came second place in a spelling bee in school yesterday!" She answered smiling.

I could see the proudness in her eyes and I couldn't help but feel jealous as I lost my own mother to cancer when I was two.

"Really? Tell her I'm proud," I reply smiling.

In about twenty minutes we were finished and I was allowed go upstairs to get ready.

Entering my room I walk over to my closet and pull out a pale pink dress with an under skirt to make it poof out. Throwing a cream cardigan over my shoulders and putting a pair of cream shoes on I start putting my hair in a ponytail.
Looking at myself in the mirror to make sure I look presentable, I hear my fathers booming laugh and the front door close.

The guests must be here.
Making my way down stairs I look up at the door to see my father, the mayor, his son and wife smiling at me.

"Hello dear, it's lovely to see you!" Margaret, the mayors wife says to me while walking over, arms open wide.

"You too, mam," I answer hugging her back.

"Margaret, silly!" She exclaimed, smiling. Laughing slightly I nod.

Walking over to my father I look at the mayors son Robert. He's handsome with boyish features and slicked back brown hair and dimples. We went to school together though weren't friends. Not that we didn't like each other, just that we had no classes together or similar friends. Smiling at him, I notice him blush before smiling back.

"Come now, the food will get cold!" My father exclaims, winking at me then nodding slightly to Robert.

_______________________________
That is the first chapter! Hope you enjoyed it! The picture above is Rosemary.
Love, Hannah xo