Ch.6

Patrick's pov:
August 25th, 1945:

"Hey you coming to the drive-in tonight?" Darry asked me while taking a drag of his smoke.

"I dunno, what great, exciting cartoon do they have on tonight? Is it a man chasing a rat or a rat chasing a man?" I answered rolling my eyes.

Darry rolled his eyes before chuckling slightly.

"You're no fun,"

"You know what? I'll go. I've got nothing else to do tonight," I shrugged before standing on the smoke I previously had in my hand.

Currently all of us were standing behind the school, skipping last period.

Looking out of the shelter we were standing in I notice a figure running through the rain before stopping and throwing her hands up. Turning and running to the big oak tree a bit down the street I manage to catch sight of her face.

It's that pretty broad from earlier this week.

All of a sudden a car pulls up in front of her an the door flies open. Squinting slightly I just make out the face of the mayors son Robert. Rolling my eyes I turn away when I see her climb in.

Looking over I see Lucky and Darry giving each other a few shoves while Johnny is trying to get in between them.

Jumping in I manage to get between them before shoving Darry to the wall.

"What's going on?!" I exclaim.

"He said my broad was never gonna marry me!" Lucky yelled while pointing a finger into Darry's face.

"Well, that's stupid of course she is," I say confused while looking between them both.

Johnny gives all of us an uneasy look before speaking quietly.

"Darry seen her flirting with some other guy,"

An awkward silence floats over the group before Lucky storm off into the rain.

"Well shit, I'll go after him," Darry says before going after him.

Looking over the rest of the guys I clear my throat catching their attention.

"I'll see you guys tonight. The drive-in at eight?"

Waiting for their nods of approval, I grab my pack of smokes off the floor before heading out into the rain myself.

--------------------------------------

About twenty minutes after I left the shelter I managed to grab a bus back home. Which is where I am now trying to find my comb so I can do my hair and get going to the drive-in.

I'm after shaking the drawers in my bedroom and the bath room andnI still can't find it.

"Ma, have you seen my comb?" I called out hoping she'll hear me so I won't have to walk to the kitchen.

"No love, ask your sister," her strong Dublin accent called back.

My father was from Bray. My mother from Dublin. We moved here for a new start when I was twelve years old and haven't left.

Shutting the drawers in the bathroom I walk out and into the room beside mine.

Walking in I see Katie combing her dolls hair.

"Katie, I need my comb but you can have it back later, okay?" I say to her as I scoop her up and put her on my lap.

"Fine," she pouts while handing me my comb.

Lifting her back onto the bed I give her a kiss on the forehead and fix my hair in the mirror in the hall.

Walking into the kitchen I lean over and give my Ma a kiss as I'm leaving.

"I'll see you later okay? I shouldn't be too long," I say while putting on my denim jacket and leaving the house.

---------------------------------------

About fifteen minutes after I had arrived at the drive-in I was dying for some pop and I was sick of the hoodlums my friends are.

"I'm heading to the stand, any of you guys want something?" I ask turning to look at the guys behind me.

Quickly, I turn more specifically to the other guys when I see Lucky and his broad Marie doing a bit more than smooching. They must've made up.

The other guys shake their head, which was all I needed to stand up and start the short walk to the stand.

Just as I was coming up to the stand I see that pretty broad Rosemary walking up to the stand as well.

She looked pretty distracted so I walked straight into her. On purpose. I know, I'm a riot with the ladies.

"We need to stop meeting this way," I said laughing, trying to make it look like an accident that I just bashed into her.

Laughing, She apologised for walking into me.

"Who are you here with?" I ask smiling.

"I'm meant to be on a date," she say scowling while rolling her eyes.

"Meant to be?" I ask confused. How are you meant to be on a date?

"He's asleep," she says giving me a deadpan look.

I can't help laughing and judging by her scowl she isn't pleased with me.

"That's real shit, he doesn't know what he's missing," I say looking at her.

Her eyes scrunch at the sides when she smiles.

"Well thank you, but I don't wanna wake him up, it's not nice," she says looking back at the car where you can see the back of his head.

"Yeah I guess so, I'm here with my friends but they're being bums," I say chuckling slightly while shaking my head.

"Are you guys close?" she asks smiling.

"Like brothers, but sometimes they're loud and annoying, like now," I answer nodding over to the cars where you can hear screams and loud laughter.

"I understand," she says laughing back.

All of a sudden I have an idea and I voice it.

"Wanna get out of here?"